Forum Replies Created
rde January 1, 2013 at 1:41 am
Reply To: DITA: Troubleshooting Japanese and Simplified Chinese PDF outputJanuary 1, 2013 at 1:41 amParticipants 0Replies 2Last Activity 10 years, 1 month ago
In the “Adding an “xml:lang” attribute to your content” section, it says “5) In the Language field, type either ja-jp for Japanese, or zh-cn for Simplified Chinese.”
I would highly recommend replacing “ja-jp” with “ja_JP” and “zh-cn” with “zh_CN”. Although ja-jp and zh-cn appear to work fine when creating PDFs in XMetaL, if you try something like creating RTFs with Oxygen, using “ja-jp” and “zh-cn” won't work. You need “ja_JP” and “zh_CN”. I know this is an XMetaL forum, but you might as well make your files as compatible with as many tools as possible.rde May 20, 2011 at 5:44 pm
Reply To: Broken bullets transforming Chinese DITA files to PDFMay 20, 2011 at 5:44 pmParticipants 0Replies 2Last Activity 11 years, 8 months ago
By bullets I mean the characters used to prefix items in a list in the PDF, transformed from the DITA
- elements. I have a PNG file that shows an example of the problem, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the file. In any case a bullet appears as a rectangle with an X inside it.
Also, our Chinese translators tell us that commas and other punctuation is missing from the Chinese PDFs, although I imagine if we can figure out the bullet problem, the punctuation problem would likely go away.
Rickrde April 30, 2011 at 1:32 am
Reply To: xref Links to same file break in PDFApril 30, 2011 at 1:32 amParticipants 0Replies 2Last Activity 11 years, 9 months ago
Thanks for your answers, Derek.
To answer your questions, I did “dumb down” my example topic because the original topic from which my example was based is for unreleased documentation. Unfortunately I made the example topic so small that you couldn't test whether or not the links actually jumped to a different point on the page. Also we're using composite topics because we are writing API reference pages and we want all of the elements to appear in the same topic.
Fortunately, I discovered the problem. XMetal appears to require that you use the file name as well as the anchor in your links for the links to work in the transformed PDFs. In other words, I get broken links in my PDFs when I use links like the following:
. But the links work fine when I use links like the following: .