General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion XML Files Don’t Open Automatically Any More

• brad_deteau

XML Files Don’t Open Automatically Any More

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 10 years, 6 months ago

XMetaL version 4.6, Windows 7

I'm using Documentum to check out XML documents.  On my old XP system, the file would open automatically in XMetaL after checkout.

I have associated XML file type to XMetaL, and selected the box to always use XMetaL.

My associate has the same issue in XP.

I was thinking maybe I should uninstall and reinstall XMetaL, because maybe there's an option to turn this on during setup (since I can't find it in tools, options).

Any tips would be appreciated.

Derek Read

Reply to: XML Files Don’t Open Automatically Any More

XMetaL Author has no options to automatically associate XML files with the product. The XMetaL Author installer doesn't do that either.

We have considered doing this over the years but so many other applications fight for this filetype (with many automatically grabbing the association each time they start up) that it has seemed fairly pointless to try, so we leave it up to you to make the association (using Windows Explorer is the most common way). Once benefit to this is that since you have made the association yourself, if something else starts opening it you know that 3rd party software is to blame. I suspect that writing a script to make this association automatic would not be that difficult. I'm on vacation at the moment, but I could try when I get back.

However, if you are using the Documentum integration (XMetaL Author for Documentum Webtop) then there should be no need to make such an association. When you ask XMetaL to open a file from the CMS it makes the request directly using Documentum Webtop and so XMetaL is in full control once the document has been checked out from the CMS. Under normal circumstances you should not be opening files from the local file system when you are using XMetaL with Documentum.

ppm1917

Hi ,

We are using 6.0with current patch .
    Can you have an idea how can we open automattically once topic checked out to do edit . because it will work on WIN 7 one of machine.

Please if you have any idea  then let me know

Paitee55

i got it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support