General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion XMetaL Developer and Java API Toolkit Install problem

• Jon Nelson

XMetaL Developer and Java API Toolkit Install problem

Participants 4
    Replies 5
    Last Activity 10 years, 6 months ago

I am trying to install XMetaL Developer 6 and it is complaining that it cannot find a JDK (which I already had installed).  I also have my JAVA_HOME environment variable set.

Where is the XMetaL Developer installer looking for the JDK?  What do I need to configure in order for it to find the one I have installed?

Derek Read

Reply to: XMetaL Developer and Java API Toolkit Install problem

The XMetaL Developer installer checks the registry for the following keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJDK
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Runtime Environment
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJRE

If one of those keys exists it reads the “CurrentVersion” value and concatenates it to the parent key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit

Example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit1.4

Then it checks for the following value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development KitJavaHome

Example:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit1.4JavaHome

Jon Nelson

Derek,  thanks for the quick reply.

In my case, I have both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Runtime Environment in the registry.  For some reason, there is both a 1.7 and 1.7.0_03 folder under each.  The CurrentVersion was set to 1.7 and looked there for the JavaHome.  The 1.7 folder had an incorrect JavaHome path, so I changed that JavaHome path to point to the 1.7.0_03 installed folder.

Everything now matches the rules you listed.  However, I am still getting the same error.

When you say it checks a value, what exactly does that mean?  Is there a log somewhere that might have more information about why I am still getting that error?

Derek Read

There are no logs for installation that you can check. The installer looks for the values listed in my previous message and finding one it uses it to build up the path. When none are found then it simply fails and will ask you to install a JDK (which sounds like what is happening in your case).

Are you planning to build a Java application to control XMetaL Author? If not you should be able to ignore this warning and carry on with the installation. See attached.

If you do need to install the JAT I'll see if I can get our installer to fail on a machine that has Java 1.7 on it and then see if there is anything we can do.

Derek Read

In your particular installation we think the following key should be found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit1.7

The “JavaHome” value should contain a path, for example: C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7

Based on that, the following directories should be present (unless you have made manual changes to the file system perhaps):

C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7
    C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7Bin

or

C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7JreBin

Jon Nelson

As I mentioned, there were keys for both HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit1.7 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREJavaSoftJava Development Kit1.7.0_03.  I'm not sure where the 1.7 key came from.  The JavaHome for that key was C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7, which does not exists on my system.  I changed that value to C:Program FilesJavajdk1.7.0_03 to match the one I do have on my system, but that does not seem to have made a difference.  I don't know if a reboot is required, but I have not done that yet.

Since I am not currently building a Java application to control XMetaL Author, please do not spend any more time on this unless others are having the same problem.  If I do need to build a Java application to control XMetaL Author at some point in the future, I will reopen this discussion.

Thanks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support