General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion XMetal Author Essential Upgrade from 5.5 to 8.0

• dblisset

XMetal Author Essential Upgrade from 5.5 to 8.0

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 9 years, 5 months ago

XMetal Author Essential 8.0.0.038
    Windows 7 Professional both 32 & 64 bit

We are in the process of upgrading from XMetal 5.5 to 8.0 and I have encountered a couple of issues that I could use some assistance with.

1. Application.DisableToolbarContextMenu doesn't appear to work, users are still able to right click and get a list of available toolbars.

2. Multiple Document Interface Context Menu – I need to override the save with our custom save and don't know what event to do this in.

3. Toolbar flashing and other strange tooltip text (“%1”, “%2”) after a document has been opened. I can and will provide more detail on this but wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing issues with this.

Derek Read

Reply to: XMetal Author Essential Upgrade from 5.5 to 8.0

1. I have confirmed that this API is broken in 8.0. We have implemented new MFC code (provided by Microsoft) into the product to provide much of the new user interface and that seems to have broken this feature. I will log a defect for this so that our developers can try to address it in future.

In the meantime the best workaround would be to set the INI variable enable_toolbar_customization = no
    With that variable set the “Customize…” option will be disabled (though the context menu remains intact).

2. If you are using the File_Save event then it should be firing when you select the Save item from the context menu that appears when you right click on a document tab (new feature in 8.0) just as it does for all the other ways to save: File > Save, Save button on the Standard toolbar and Ctrl+S. If you are using this event then please provide a copy of your macro to XMetaL Support so they can have a look, but perhaps you are describing something else?

3. I believe we understand what you are describing here. This is a known problem, introduced (again) by the new MFC code. It is annoying and development is looking into what can be done.

dblisset

Thanks Derek,

1. Hopefully a fix for this will be found. We have customized the toolbars and only want the user to use a few of the toolbars and handle their visibility via our customizations.

2. Works fine from MDI context menu with File_Save event running our customized save code (after I actually coded a File_Save event).

3. Let me know if I can provide additional information to assist with debugging this issue.

Derek Read

Dev is looking at #1. I suspect this might be “easy” to fix (aside from the work of retesting related APIs). Now is a good time though as there is some flexibility in our schedules (there are about 10 XMetaL products in total) and the possibility for an XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0 SP1 release. There are quite a few things we'd like to include, so if it happens I've asked that we put the fix for #1 in there as well.

Does the Legislature have a deadline you need to meet? We don't have any fixed time frame for an SP1 but if possible we could try to accommodate it.

dblisset

Our current schedule has a client implementation date of August so a late June, early July release of SP1 would work for us.

Thanks again for your assistance with this.

5/3/2013 Update: We have delayed implementation until next year at the earliest. We will check back later when we start back up.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support