General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion XMetaL Author 8.0 uninstall/XMetaL Author 7.0 install License Issue

• trishtoo

XMetaL Author 8.0 uninstall/XMetaL Author 7.0 install License Issue

Participants 7
    Replies 8
    Last Activity 9 years ago

I have a user who installed version 8.0 when she was supposed to install version 7.0. Obviously the license we gave her will work with both versions. When she uninstalled 8.0, she did not know she was supposed to unregister her license first. Now she's got 7.0 installed, but cannot register her license. What now? Help, please.
    Regards,
    Trish

Derek Read

Reply to: XMetaL Author 8.0 uninstall/XMetaL Author 7.0 install License Issue

Reinstall 8.0, unregister 8.0, uninstall 8.0, install 7.0, register 7.0.

trishtoo

Derek:

My user did not know to copy the unregistration key when she unregistered 8. Now she cannot install 8 or 7. How can I recover her unregistration key to proceed? It is not in the .lic file.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Trish

trishtoo

Reinstall 8.0, unregister 8.0, uninstall 8.0, install 7.0, register 7.0.

Derek:

My user did not know to copy the unregistration key when she unregistered 8. Now she cannot install 8 or 7. How can I recover her unregistration key to proceed? It is not in the .lic file.

Thank you for all your assistance.

Trish

Derek Read

You do not need a key to unregister. You can unregister by launching the software (hence the need to reinstall) then select Help > Licensing and click the Unregister button.

trishtoo

You do not need a key to unregister. You can unregister by launching the software (hence the need to reinstall) then select Help > Licensing and click the Unregister button.

Correct. But you DO need that key when you reinstall with that same license file. We ran into this issue when another writer got a new machine. Fortunately, she had made note of her unregistration key. On the registration dialog, you must click have license file and browse to it, AND you must also enter the unregistration key IF you have previously installed with your license file. Otherwise, you will get a message stating that the license was rejected.

In this case, the writer did not know to make note of the unregistration key.

Derek Read

That's right, provided you did not unregister the first machine you can use the unregistration key in the manner you say (when I was referring to unregistering I meant launching the software, selecting Help > Licensing and then clicking the Unregister button, but if the software is not installed you would need to reinstall it as I initially suggested).

Rather than get further confused by this please contact XMetaL Support and ask if they can manually remove the license for that machine to free it up.

trishtoo

That's right, provided you did not unregister the first machine you can use the unregistration key in the manner you say (when I was referring to unregistering I meant launching the software, selecting Help > Licensing and then clicking the Unregister button, but if the software is not installed you would need to reinstall it as I initially suggested).

Rather than get further confused by this please contact XMetaL Support and ask if they can manually remove the license for that machine to free it up.

Will do. Thank you!

I just want to say from field experience this is what has happened and what worked.

First writer:
    Got a new machine.
    Uninstalled AND unregistered XMetaL 7.0 from old machine. Made note of unregistration key.
    Installed XMetaL 7.0 on new machine, but kept getting license rejection message from server.
    On Registration dialog, entered unregistration key from old machine in the Unregistration Key field AND clicked on Have license file. Browsed to license file. Clicked OK.
    Clicked Submit.
    Registered just fine.

Second writer:
    Accidentally installed and registered XMetaL 8.0 on her machine.
    Uninstalled (but did NOT unregister) XMetaL 8.0.
    Installed XMetaL 7.0, but could not register it.
    Contacted me and I posted here on the forum.
    Reinstalled XMetaL 8.0.
    Uninstalled AND unregistered XMetaL 8.0, but did NOT note unregistration key.
    Installed XMetaL 7.0, but kept getting license rejection message from server.
    And that's where we are. We cannot do the same steps as the first writer with the unregistration key because we do not know what it is for this machine.

Derek Read

If you are still stuck please contact XMetaL Support and let them know the name of the computer you wish to unregister so that they can manually remove it from the system.

This is what should have occurred for the second writer:

Accidentally installed and registered XMetaL 8.0 on her machine. — A license is used up reducing your total by 1.
    Uninstalled (but did NOT unregister) XMetaL 8.0. — The license is still considered to be in use.
    Installed XMetaL 7.0, but could not register it. — Most likely all licenses are in use so the registration is refused.
    Contacted me and I posted here on the forum.
    Reinstalled XMetaL 8.0.
    Uninstalled AND unregistered XMetaL 8.0, but did NOT note unregistration key. — A license is freed for use by any machine.
    Installed XMetaL 7.0, but kept getting license rejection message from server. — Not sure what is happening here. There are two possibilities I think: a) Someone else registered and used up the license and you have run out. b) An obsolete xmetal.lic file was used to register this time. If you purchased additional licenses after this user initially registered their copy of 8.0 then that would be the reason as a new xmetal.lic file would have been issued.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support