General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion XMAX API call for Thesaurus

• MrPaul

XMAX API call for Thesaurus

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 9 years ago

Is there an API call for the thesaurus (i.e. GetSynonyms) or is there a way to show the thesaurus without calling ShowSpellChecker in xmax 6.0 or 7.0? Thanks.

Derek Read

Reply to: XMAX API call for Thesaurus

Currently there are only APIs available to access spell checking suggestions from the spell checker (GetSpellingResult). This applies to both XMetaL Author up to 8.0 and XMAX up to 7.0, as well as the soon to be released XMAX 8.0.

The ability to show the thesaurus directly (via API) is on our feature request list but not yet scheduled for any releases. Currently the closest you could get would be to use ShowSpellChecker and then switch to the Thesaurus tab (you might try using SendKeys() to do that).

Which feature would be most useful to you (if you had to choose)?
    ShowThesaurus()
    GetSynonyms() + GetAntonyms + etc…

Derek Read

One of our developers tells me he originally experimented with an API for getting a list of synonyms at the same time GetSpellingResult was being worked on but that he is not sure how “alive” that code still is.

If I get some more information I will let you know.

MrPaul

Too bad. Yes, ideally GetSynonyms and GetAntonyms would suit our needs since we'd have to make our own bilingual custom dialog. Please keep me posted on the other possible solution though since we are using XMAX v6 at the moment.

Derek Read

It looks like we have some code in the product that might do what you need. I'm not sure about version 6 but I was given a demo of some undocumented APIs yesterday. There is no way to show the Thesaurus, but it may be possible to extract lists of synonyms and antonyms (and other word types) as lists of strings, so you might be able to build your custom dialog.

As these are undocumented, and not officially tested nor officially supported, I would prefer not to post details about them on the forum. I will contact you directly by email once I have some sort of basic example I can give you.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support