General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Workspace arrangement of toolbars not being saved

• russurquhart1

Workspace arrangement of toolbars not being saved

Participants 8
    Replies 9
    Last Activity 9 years ago

Hi Again,

When we save our toolbars just the way we like them, close xmetal and come back, they are back in the default postions.

We have just moved from Xmetal 6.0 to version 8.0, is there something we need to set to get the tools bars to stick?

Thanks,

Russ

russurquhart1

Reply to: Workspace arrangement of toolbars not being saved

Referring to another of Derek's previous post (http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,2333.msg6489.html#msg6489), he mentions the registry key for xmetal 6.0, and that attributes about the toolbar are stored there.

As we are in Xmetal 8.0, i check the registry key for 8.0 and it appears that the structure is different. With that said, is there another place to look in this structure to look for where the toolbars positions are stored and recalled from, fro a given dtd?

Thanks,

Russ

Derek Read

That location in the registry is the same for 8.0 (apart from the version number):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareSoftQuadXMetaL 8.0

Additional features having been added (property windows can now be pinned, positioned in ways they could not be previously, toolbars can now display both text and icons/just text/just an icon, toolbar icons can be sized larger, etc) and so additional settings are now stored there and the structure reflects those changes.

russurquhart1

i can confirm that the .tbr file is getting updated in the locations as stated in the Online Help. However, any changes i make to the arrangements of the toolbars (special chars, symbols, etc.) is NOT being maintained the next time Xmetal opens that same document (having the same dtd/schema) or another document having that dtd/schema type.

Is there another place to look or parameter to set to say, use this specific .tbr file whenever you edit that type of document?

thanks,

Russ

Derek Read

There is no configuration or control over this through a setting or script or whatever. The only control you have is what you are already doing (which is to show/hide toolbars or move them around). This is handled automatically on a per-schema basis. If no documents are open then you are manipulating the “default” layout (which is restored when no documents are open). If a document is open then the layout is stored specific to the schema loaded for that document.

The .tbr file defines menus and menu items and toolbars and toolbar items (their text and the action associated with them). There is no positioning information stored inside the .tbr files (it is all in the registry).

You can have a look in the registry inside this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareSoftQuadXMetaL 8.0WorkspaceDTDs

Each subkey inside there is associated with a specific schema (including information about where it is located) and the settings inside the key correspond to the layout, visibility, etc.

At this point I'm still assuming that there is some sort of permissions issue with writing to those keys in the registry. You can check that by right clicking on a key and selecting “Permissions…”

russurquhart1

I am looking at the registry now. (I had noticed this the other day, that the .tbr, .ctm and other files, when i was working on a document using our ti-ud.dtd/schema, were being written and updated to a temp location:

Users/name/AppData/Local/Temp/ti_uda01284

And each time i updated the xml file, a new temp directory was created here with the new info.

Looking in the registry, it confirms that there are dtd settings for these locations. But, and this is my question, as these are new temp locations being written each time i save, each new editing session will not find these, so will use the default settings? Is this why i am seeing what i am seeing?

Thanks,

Russ

Derek Read

So your customization is using the .xac file method to deliver XMetaL customizations? The .xac would contain your dtd/xsd/rlx/rld, css, ctm, mcr, etc, and would have originally been created using XMetaL Developer.

If so, it could be that the new UI functionality was not fully tested with .xac files.

If that is true, and the trigger is the .xac file, the simplest solution would be to not use .xac file. To do that you would need to place your customization files (dtd or xsd, css, ctm, mcr, etc) in the same location as the .xac file then remove the .xac file. The .xac file is most likely to be in one of several locations:
    1. The path specified in the XML file's SYSTEM id if present.
    2. The path specified in a catalog file in the Rules subfolder if the XML file uses a PUBLIC id.
    3. The Rules subfolder.

The person that created your customization and/or deployed it would be able to tell you where to find it.

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue triggered by usage of the .xac file.

russurquhart1

Well,

I've been looking around. I didn't find any .xac files locally that had the name of the dtd's we use. However, in the Rules folder, we DID have .rld files for each of the dtd's we use. I'll check other people's machines who are still using 6.0, but would the .rld files be culpable also?

Thanks,

Russ

Derek Read

Files with .rld extension are merely binary representations of a W3C Schema (essentially a pre-compiled version of your XSD files). They don't get moved around. The only way I can reproduce your issue is with a .xac file (which contains your schema, or the compiled version, together with anything else that makes up the customization like .css, .ctm, .mcr, etc). The issue with the .xac is that it is essentially a .zip file that needs to be unzipped before XMetaL can use the contents. XMetal unzips this file to the temp location you noted previously before loading the contents.

Do you have an integration with a content management system? Some CMS that integrate with XMetaL Author Enterprise store XMetaL customizations in the CMS storage system and serve them up to XMetaL on the fly when a document is checked out. The location will vary depending on the CMS and how it is configured.

Check the XML source (Plain Text view will let you do that) and let me know what the SYSTEM or PUBLIC id value is. From there we can locate everything (though if a PUBLIC id is used we will need to look at your catalog files as well).

Switching from using .xac to the non-.xac version of a customization would likely best be done by the person that created the customization in case there is a specific reason they chose to use the .xac deployment method.

russurquhart1

I suspect that you are right. We use DocZone as our CMS. I don't know where the .xac is, but i will contact them to see.

I've attached the .xac that gets written to the temp location.

Thanks,

Russ

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support