DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion What DITA-OT does XMetaL 7.0 using?

• tmakita

What DITA-OT does XMetaL 7.0 using?

Participants 11
    Replies 12
    Last Activity 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi,
    I heard the announcement of XMetaL 7.0 today morning and install it in my PC. Until now I use XMetaL 6.0 SP1 & DITA 1.2 Configuration Kit. (In the installation I selected “upgrade” and the license become 30day trial.) However when I invoke PDF output using “DITA15 XMetal Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP”, the job fails with error log. In the error log I found that XMetaL 7.0 does not invoke the newest DITA-OT (1.5.4). It still invoke old version (1.4.2.1?). It can be found from following DITA-OT start log message.

check-arg:

[echo] *****************************************************************

[echo] * basedir = C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OT

[echo] * dita.dir = C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OT

[echo] * input = d:/dita-ot1.5.4-fb/samples/taskbook.ditamap

[echo] * transtype = pdf3

[echo] * tempdir = C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTtemp

[echo] * outputdir = D:DITA-OT1.5.4-FBsamplespdf_out

[echo] * extname = .xml

[echo] * clean.temp = ${clean.temp}

[echo] * xslt.parser = XALAN

output-deprecated-msg:

output-css-warn-message:

start-preprocess:

clean-temp:

gen-list-without-flagging:

GenMapAndTopicListModule.execute(): Starting…

[pipeline] Failed to read supported DITA topic extensions from configuration, using defaults.

[pipeline] Failed to read supported DITA map extensions from configuration, using defaults.

[pipeline] Failed to read supported image extensions from configuration, using defaults.

[pipeline] Failed to read supported HTML extensions from configuration, using defaults.

[pipeline] Failed to read supported resource file extensions from configuration, using defaults.

[pipeline] Failed to read print transtypes from configuration, using defaults.

Why does XMetaL 7.0 use old version of DITA-OT? Is my instllation someting wrong?
    Regards,

tmakita

Reply to: What DITA-OT does XMetaL 7.0 using?

I removed C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL SharedDITA_OT and DITA_OT1.5. Then XMetaL copied DITA-OT 1.5.4 and the build have been succeeded! I could get the PDF.

I think this must be informed to the upgrade user.

output-version:

[echo] Version: DITA Open Toolkit 1.5.4 XM

use-init.envhhcdir:

use-init.hhcdir:

use-init:

check-arg:

[mkdir] Created dir: C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTtemp

[echo] ************** xslt.parser = SAXON

[echo] * basedir = C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OT

[echo] * dita.dir = C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OT

[echo] * input = d:/dita-ot1.5.4-fb/samples/taskbook.ditamap

[echo] * transtype = pdf3

[echo] * tempdir = C:UserstoshiAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTtemp

[echo] * outputdir = D:DITA-OT1.5.4-FBsamplespdf_out

[echo] * extname = .xml

[echo] * clean.temp = true

[echo] * xslt.parser = SAXON

[echo] #Ant properties

[echo] #Fri Apr 06 02:36:27 GMT 2012

[echo] * Using Xerces

Regards,

Derek Read

The “install-readme.html” file that comes with downloads obtained through our sales team should have this requirement listed. If your copy of the install-readme.html does not mention this please let me know.

The page on our website for people downloading the trial version states the following:
    “If you are upgrading from version 5.5 or newer, it necessary to remove the per-user copy of the DITA Open Toolkit as outlined in the install-readme.” I do see that the page you end up for downloading the trial doesn't include a link to the install-readme.html file though (as it used to). Instead, when you run the installer there is a button on the splash screen that says “View Installation Guide”. I'll have someone clarify that.

gcrews

The page on our website for people downloading the trial version states the following:
    “If you are upgrading from version 5.5 or newer, it necessary to remove the per-user copy of the DITA Open Toolkit as outlined in the install-readme.” I do see that the page you end up for downloading the trial doesn't include a link to the install-readme.html file though (as it used to). Instead, when you run the installer there is a button on the splash screen that says “View Installation Guide”. I'll have someone clarify that.

FYI, the file size and read-me link on the trial page seem to be Xmetal Essential, not Enterprise.
    It does have a section in the correct install-readme.html about redeploying the Toolkit but does not specifically say that you have to.
    I kinda assumed this would be required, part of our uninstall processes is to completely delete the 3 main Xmetal folders.
    All our customizations and modifications are packaged into an easy to re deploy package. If any changes are not part of the customization deployment, they are not needed, all our writers setups are nearly identical.

On a side note, I like that the readme lists the other components and versions. Looks like the JRE was not updated though, I'm not aware of any issue off hand but i do recall JAVA version being mentioned occasionally in the yahoo users group related to issues.  Any attempt to use larger amounts of memory will probably need a newer Java version or the 64-bit JRE version.

Other than that looks great so far, new Toolkit, new ant version, and new renderx version ( now I can do linear gradient  SVG images and two-up-continuous default view mode)

Derek Read

The current trial download is for XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 (not Essential, though Essential is available through our sales team). I downloaded and installed it at home this weekend to check.

gcrews

I know its to the correct download but the “Size” and “Read Me” columns on the software download page I don't think are right.

Derek Read

Aha, I see. Yes, it says 111MB and the link to the install-readme goes to the Essential version.
    Strange. I'll have the website people fix that. Thanks.

Derek Read

Our website people have fixed this up now.

tmakita

Hi Derek,

I confirmed that removing old version is written in the follwoing:

http://na.justsystems.com/files/install-readme-XMEE7.html

If you need to re-deploy the DITA Open Toolkit, remove the following folder for each user:
    •%systemdrive%Documents and Settings{user}Application DataSoftQuadXMetaL Shared

However I think that it is bit obscure for upgrading users.

Regards,

Derek Read

I'll pass this on to our dev team and documentation people so they can try to improve this in the future.

tmakita

Hi Derek,

%systemdrive%Documents and Settings{user}Application DataSoftQuadXMetaL Shared

This path is not accesible in Windows 7. This should be rewitten as follows:

%APPDATA%SoftQuadXMetaL Shared

Regards,

Derek Read

Yes, this is usually what I tell people. Our documentation people will be updating these things in future so I will let them know this, however…

For most people we should actually be telling them the following. On many systems %appdata% is a hidden folder that users cannot see.

1. Launch XMetaL Author Enterprise.
    2. Select Tools > Configure Output to open the Configure Output Options dialog.
    3. On the Advanced tab find this parameter and change the value from 1 to 2:
        cmd_dita_ot_per_user_version = 1
    4. Click OK to dismiss the Configure Output Options dialog.
    5. Either generate output or select Tools > Configure Output again.
    6. When asked if you would like to upgrade the DITA-OT version select OK.
    The DITA OT will be re-deployed from the currently installed version (which is located in %Program Files%Common FilesXMetaL Shared as part of the XMetaL Author Enterprise installation) overwriting any existing copy in %appdata%SoftQuadXMetaL Shared

Suwasti

Hi Derek,

We are currently using DITA-OT 1.5.3.
    Can we revert the DITA-OT 1.5.4 back to 1.5.3? If yes, what are the steps to do that?

Thanks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support