DITA and XMetaL Discussion

• mmoulder

WebHelp Title

Participants 8
    Replies 9
    Last Activity 12 years, 10 months ago

I am trying to change the WebHelp title for my default outputs. I would think it would come from the name of the map file, but I am not seeing that behavior. What I could find was a file that sets the gMapTitle = HTML Help.

However, when I change this in the source files in the demo directory, no matter what I change I still get HTML Help as the title. For example the title of my map is Mozy Help, but I still get HTML Help.

I replaced every instance of HTML Help in the demowebhelp directory with MozyHelp and I still get HTML Help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cdybdahl

Reply to: WebHelp Title

You can change the title of the WebHelp output by editing the title attribute (not the element) on the map element.

This is not available from the Map Editor view, so first you must click File > Switch to XML View of Map.

hth.

mmoulder

Sweet, that worked. Thank you for the help, spent hours on that dang issue.

Derek Read

This sounds like something that should work (the element is the preferred location for title in DITA maps).

I'll check with dev and ask if they can put this on their to-do list for an updated release.

I guess it would probably be best if it works this way:

If map title element exists then use it otherwise use the attribute value, if present.

Make sense?

cdybdahl

Just to be clear, this is a “feature” of DITA-OT that is not specific to XMetaL. I seem to recall some talk of fixing it for 1.5, but I do not recall if that actually happened or not.

I did have to change the order of the tests in my pdf2 customization to get it to pull the title from the element as well, much in the way Derek describes.

njmyers13

I have the map title attribute set, but my webhelp output still generates with “HTML Help”. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks, Nicole

Su-Laine Yeo

Hi Nicole. Try deleting the webhelp_out folder and generating output again. If that doesn't work, please zip up your map file and post it, or send it to me at syeo at justsystems dotcom, and we'll take a look.

Su-Laine Yeo

As a bit more background, the title of a map can be stored as either an XML attribute, an XML element, or both. The DITA 1.1 specification says that it is better to put titles in the element than the attribute, so the Map Properties dialog in XMetaL is designed to put title information into the element rather than the attribute.

However, because of a defect in the DITA Open Toolkit, the map element is ignored and the “title” attribute is used instead when you generate certain types of output. The workaround for this issue is to put the title of the map in the “title” attribute. To do this:</p> <p>1) Open your map file.<br />2) Click the File menu in the Map Editor pane and choose “Switch to XML View of Map”. The map will appear in Tags On View.<br />3) Click just after the </p> <map> start tag at the beginning of the document.<br />4) Click View > Attribute Inspector.<br />5) In the Attribute Inspector pane, type the a value for the “title” attribute, and then press Enter. You should see the title appear automatically with a grey background in the document.<br />6) If you want to switch back to the Map Editor view, click File > Switch to Map Editor.<br />7) Generate WebHelp output again. <br /></map> <p>

Derek Read

Moved a question about CHM Help to a new post here: http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,630.0.html

The posts in this thread were originally related to “WebHelp” output (specifically the new output type that ships with XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0). Though the ultimate cause of this issue may stem from some common source (my hunch at this point is the XHTML transtype in the DITA OT) I think talking about multiple output types here may confuse some people.

Derek Read

We have tracked this issue down.

Everyone seems to agree that the current behavior is not wanted and we are looking into a fix. We have a few other fixes for Webhelp (mostly multilingual-related things) and we hope to be able to roll them all together.

Our normal procedure for any fixes is to include them in a future release (meaning you would need to wait and then upgrade to get them). However, in this case there is a chance we can get something to you sooner, depending the changes that need to be made to an existing XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 installation (and even if we were to offer that it would need to come with some caveats).

Current behavior:

• Map title specified as both element and attribute: Webhelp shows the attribute value
    • Map title specified as element only: Webhelp shows our own hard-coded default string “HTML Help”
    • Map title specified as attribute only: Webhelp shows the attribute value

Desired corrected behavior:

• Map title specified as both element and attribute: Webhelp shows the element value
    • Map title specified as element only: Webhelp shows the element value
    • Map title specified as attribute only: Webhelp shows the attribute value

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support