• kwag_myers

WebHelp Error 2147024894

Participants 4
    Replies 5
    Last Activity 12 years, 2 months ago

When I generate WebHelp and click the Open File button I get this error:

[code]Error code: -2147024894

DitaRenditionsImpl…openWith:[/code]

This started when a coworker did some customizations to the iframe wrapper. Specifically to the index.html, the .css files in the common folder, and possibly one of the .js files.

I thought about changing each file out with the original to see if I can isolate the problem. But (of course) there is no backups. Any ideas on a fix or access to the default files?

Derek Read

Reply to: WebHelp Error 2147024894

Depending on how the changes were made you may be able to simply redeploy the DITA OT. This will work if the changes that were made were done to your 'per-user' copy of the DITA OT.

Basic instructions for redeploying for XMetaL Author Enterprise 5.5 and 6.0 are as follows:

1) With Author running, select Tools > Configure Output…
    2) In the Configure Output dialog select the Advanced tab.
    3) In the Advanced tab increase the value for the parameter called cmd_dita_ot_per_user_version by one or more. Example: cmd_dita_ot_per_user_version  =  2. If the parameter is not listed then add it (it should be there by default).
    4) Click OK to dismiss the dialog.
    5) Select Tools > Configure Output…
    6) When prompted with the message to “upgrade” the DITA OT select the OK button.
    7) The DITA OT should be redeployed and the Configure Output dialog will appear. You can then dismiss the dialog by pressing OK again.

Instead of step 5 you can also simply generate output. You will still be prompted to “upgrade” the DITA OT. That triggers the same redeployment.

For detailed information on why we “deploy” the DITA OT (and how to manage multiple installations in various different ways) please see this post:
    http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,237.0.html

Su-Laine Yeo

As an alternative to the procedure that Derek describes, you can force XMetaL to re-deploy the DITA Open Toolkit by backing up and then deleting the following folder:

C:Documents and SettingsApplication DataSoftQuadXMetaL SharedDITA_OT

Su-Laine

kwag_myers

Nope! I tried both methods. btw, I'm using 6.0.

One thing I found out is that there were also some revisions made to the ditabase-derived.css – everything was noted out. I removed the note syntax, and tried different stylesheets, but there still is no style changes in the editor pane, i.e., is not bold, etc. This tells me that something is broke somewhere further up the food chain. Should I reinstall?

Derek Read

This most likely means that the installed copy of the DITA OT (the one we place inside C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL Shared) was altered, so redeploying will simply copy those alterations over again to the version you are actually running (the copy in your %appdata% folder).

In this case reinstalling is the best bet. However, as modifications have been made to the installation some files may be left behind as our installer generally respects those as belonging to you (not files it installed and can therefore remove). So, to make sure you get a clean installation do the following:

1) Uninstall using the Add or Remove Programs dialog in Control Panel.
    2) Remove the following folders (assuming that is where XMetaL was installed):
        C:Program FilesXMetaL 6.0Author
        C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL Shared

3) Reinstall.

kwag_myers

Nope – not it. I did restore the stylesheet for the edit pane, but the Open File button still returns the error.

Another thought I had was maybe the version control (TortoiseSVN) was causing the issue, so I output to my desktop. But that didn't work either. 

edit:
    Wait…sorry. I got it now. During my first uninstall/reinstall I did not see the XMetaL Shared directory and assumed it had been removed. I discovered that is was, in fact, still there, so I repeated the process and accessed the directory via a shortcut. Problem solved. Thx.

Now to systematically replace the customized files to isolate the problem.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support