DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion UWL in XMetal 12.0 does not recognize capitalization

Tagged: 

• dfess1

UWL in XMetal 12.0 does not recognize capitalization

Participants 5
    Replies 5
    Last Activity 2 months, 3 weeks ago

I am trying to create a specialized UWL. I can create it fine, however, if my word is lowercase and the term was capitalized, it does not recognize it. The inverse is also true. I would have though this would be capitalization agnostic. Please advise.

nhu1

Reply to: UWL in XMetal 12.0 does not recognize capitalization

Hi,

What is UWL?

Regards,

Ning

dfess1

UWL is a User Word List. I apologize, I thought I was in the General area when I posted it. Nothing to do with DITA, just Xmetal.

Basically, you can create your own dictionary, with approved and unapproved terms. But because it’s so friggin old, you need WordPerfect to open it apparently. And if you enter your term with a capital, it will only recognize it as a capital. IF you enter the term all lower case, it only recognizes the term in lower case. I was hoping to be able to avoid having to maintain two seperate UWL files. And to not have to hand enter them at the same time.

nhu1

Here is what I did with XMEE 12.0.0168,
    1. Added ‘RAR’ to UWL.
    2. Typed the following, RAR, Rar, rar. There are no red squiggly and spelling check is ok.

Could you please provide steps to reproduce it?

Ning

dfess1

I’m running:
    Binary#: 12.0.0.081
    Installer#: 12.0.0185

What I want to do is create a term list of non approved words, and their suggested replacements. So, in the UWL dialog box, I have added:

Word/phrase: Replace With:
    Abandon stop

I save it, create a new topic, add the following sentence: “Abandon the step, then abandon the procedure.”

I get the red squiggly line under “Abandon”, but not under “abandon”.

If I enter the term in the UWL as “abondon”, I get the squiggly line for the lowercase instance, but not the uppercase instance. Right now, I have to create two separate UWL files. I was hoping to create one UWL file, with all caps, and then copy/paste it, open and change all of the Capital letters to lowercase. But I cannot do that, due to the proprietary nature of the UWL code. It would be really nice if it didn’t care about the capitalization at all, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

nhu1

For your sample, our engineer suggested to use a single entry – ‘abandon/stop’ – both lower case.
    Both ‘Abandon’ and ‘abandon’ will have red squiggly. The replacement for each will be ‘Stop’ and ‘stop’ in the drop-down list.

Ning

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support