XMetaL Tips and Tricks
Derek Read March 16, 2009 at 10:33 pm
Using TortoiseSVN via the "Desktop" TabMarch 16, 2009 at 10:33 pmParticipants 1Replies 0Last Activity 13 years, 6 months ago
Using TortoiseSVN via the “Desktop” Tab
XMetaL Author's “Desktop” tab (inside the Resource Manager) lets you work with Windows Explorer directly from within XMetaL Author. Any extensions added to Windows Explorer should typically be automatically exposed there.
Installation and Usage
Note: TortoiseSVN is a Windows Explorer extension that allows you to more easily interact with Subversion. This means you need a working Subversion repository server before you can really do anything with TortoiseSVN.
1. Install XMetaL Author Essential or XMetaL Author Enterprise (you probably have done so already if you are reading this post).
2. Install a copy of “TortoiseSVN”. This tool extends Windows Explorer to add support for various SVN functions to the context menu. It also adds overlays to the icons for files and folders indicating their status in SVN (checked-out, etc). http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html
3. Confirm that TortoiseSVN is running as expected by configuring it for use with your repository and then launching Windows Explorer and interacting with your SVN repository (see the SVN and TortoiseSVN docs for details).
4. Inside XMetaL Author open the Resource Manager and select the tab called “Desktop”. This is where the TortoiseSVN functionality will be exposed. You should see pretty much the same UI here as you do in Windows Explorer.
The extended functionality that TortoiseSVN adds may also appear in other standard XMetaL Author dialogs, including the File > Open dialog for example.
Screen captures that demonstrate what the TortoiseSVN UI will look like when accessed from the Desktop tab are attached — pretty much identical to what you see when using TortoiseSVN from Windows Explorer. These screen captures were made using XP SP3, XMetaL Author Enterprise 5.1.1.017, and TortoiseSVN 1.4.6, Build 11647 – 32 Bit. The Desktop tab functions identically in XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 so you should expect the same behavior there.
See also: [url=http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,608.0.html]List of content management systems that integrate with XMetaL[/url]
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.