General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Understanding the CSS structure and customizing the CSS for Webhelp output

• deegle

Understanding the CSS structure and customizing the CSS for Webhelp output

Participants 1
    Replies 2
    Last Activity 8 years, 1 month ago

XMetal Author Enterprise 8.0 Service Pack 1
    Windows 7

Hello,
    Could someone point me in the direction of information specific to understanding and editing the CSS in XMetal.
    I want to customise the look of my Webhelp output (fonts, color etc for corporate branding).
    There seems to be a lot of css files in the Webhelp output (eleven .css files in the output folders).
    Trying to figure out what is what is confusing.
    I want to understand where they are generated from and which ones I need to edit at source to customize my Webhelp output.

t9ejane

Reply to: Understanding the CSS structure and customizing the CSS for Webhelp output

Hi
    Did you ever get help? I have the same questions. I need to make the headers our company color and possibly add some branding. But as I follow the XMetaL help file, the CSS files I'm looking for aren't in the folders I'm being directed to, so it's hard to follow the instructions stroke by stroke, not knowing if I'm getting ready to copy/edit the correct CSS.

XMetaL Author Enterprise 9.0

Derek Read

Reply to: Understanding the CSS structure and customizing the CSS for Webhelp output

You can provide your own CSS file to the DITA Open Toolkit for any of the HTML-based outputs.
    This is supported by adding a reference to your file in the Edit Deliverable Type dialog:

1. Tools > Configure Output
    2. Select the “Deliverable type” from the list.
    3. Click Edit button.
    4. Add reference to the location of the “Specific CSS” file you want to be included. This file will then be copied into the base folder where the rest of the output is generated and it will add a relative path to into each HTML file (at the topic level). Something like this:

Since you will probably be deploying your output files to some location that will differ from the location it is generated to, you may also need to add a value for the “Default CSS path”. So, to put your CSS into a separate folder named “cssfiles” you would set the one above and also set “Default CSS path” to “cssfiles”. That would result in the CSS file referenced above into the “cssfiles” subfolder (which it will create) and then the following will be added to each HTML file:

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support