DITA and XMetaL Discussion
rubypearl May 9, 2012 at 12:30 am
Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionMay 9, 2012 at 12:30 amParticipants 6Replies 7Last Activity 10 years, 8 months ago
I'm trying to create a PDF; however, when I generate, the build fails and I get the following error message: The deliverable could not be created. If a file with the same name is open in another application, close the file and then generate the output again.
I was able to create a PDF successfully using the previous version; but since the upgrade, I've been unable to generate a build successfully for any format.
I've deleted the folders, rebooted, and verified that no PDF is open. I'm uncertain why I'm getting this error and how I can resolve it.Derek Read May 9, 2012 at 12:50 am
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionMay 9, 2012 at 12:50 am
To test that your installation has no issues you can try generating output using one of the two DITA samples available via the Help menu in the Samples submenu.
If they don't work then we can suspect the install has issues.
If they do work then it would be best to submit a copy of the files you are generating output from to XMetaL Support so they can have a look. The DITA OT version has changed between XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 and 7.0 (from 220.127.116.11 to 1.5.4) so it is possible that your files contain something the new version of the DITA OT doesn't like.
If you want to track it down yourself and the log file does not help you can try eliminating portions of your map until it does build and then work on from there until you find the part of the map or topic that is causing the issue.rubypearl May 9, 2012 at 1:42 am
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionMay 9, 2012 at 1:42 am
I tried to create a PDF using one of the sample files, but that was unsuccessful as well.Derek Read May 9, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionMay 9, 2012 at 6:42 pm
Both samples are tested with all output formats (without issue) so the best thing to do is reinstall.
1. Uninstall anything that has modified XMetaL Author Enterprise. This includes CMS integrations and any other 3rd party add-ons for XMetaL Author. Refer to their installation guide for help if there is one.
2. Uninstall XMetaL Author Enterprise using “Add or Remove Programs” (XP) or “Programs and Features” / “Programs” (Windows 7).
3. Remove any of the following folders if they remain. If your Program Files folder is named something else then navigate there instead. If you install to a path that is not the default then these paths will also be different.
C:Program FilesXMetaL 7.0
C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL Shared
%appdata%SoftQuad ([url=http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,1231.0.html]see: What is the %APPDATA% folder?[/url])
4. Install XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 but do not install anything else at this point or change any settings.
5. From the Help menu open one of the DITA samples.
6. From the File menu select Generate Output for DITA Map.
7. Select “XMetaL Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP” as the deliverable type and click OK.
Once that is working you can add any other software or change settings, etc.rubypearl May 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionMay 10, 2012 at 1:28 pm
I uninstalled version 7.0, rebooted, and reinstalled per the provided download link. I then followed your instructions as outlined below, however, I'm still getting the same failure to create a PDF.Derek Read May 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionMay 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm
Please submit a support case with XMetaL Support and include the following:
1) Copy of the log.xml file opened when you select File > View Output Log
2) Windows version (XP, Vista, 7) and major Windows service packs installed (SP1/2/3).
3) Windows language.
4) If it is all outputs that are failing or just PDF.
5) The “deliverable” that you select when you generate output (ie: “XMetaL Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP” or one of the other 4 that generate a PDF file).
It is very possible that XMetaL Support will need to have an online meeting with you to have a look at your system to see if there is anything obvious or unique about it.
If you can install the software to a second computer and it fails there as well that would tell them that there is something unique about the way all machines are your organization are configured. Or if it works then you can compare the two machines to see what is different about the first. Note that with XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 you will now need to “unregister” the first installed copy before you can install on a different machine.trishtoo August 20, 2012 at 11:30 pm
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionAugust 20, 2012 at 11:30 pm
What is the resolution? We are having the same problem.Derek Read August 21, 2012 at 12:22 am
Reply to: Unable to create PDF using new 7.0 versionAugust 21, 2012 at 12:22 am
In this case the software failed to install properly or it was corrupted (broken) after installation.
The client was asked to reinstall the software and (I believe) they chose to do so on a second (newly built) computer.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.