DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion TOPLEAF: Problem with duplicate bookmark in PDF output

• jlm05

TOPLEAF: Problem with duplicate bookmark in PDF output

Participants 4
    Replies 5
    Last Activity 10 years, 9 months ago

I've configured a TopLeaf stylesheet to include the content of the alternate book title (which for us is the actual title) as bookmark level 1 using the following entry on the Custom tab:

{FirstBookTitleAlt}

However, when I generate the PDF, I get two instances of the bookmark. One by itself, followed by the bookmark with the headings it contains. See the attached image.

Any idea why this duplication occurs?

gjn2066

Reply to: TOPLEAF: Problem with duplicate bookmark in PDF output

The standard DITAmap stylesheet produces a level 1 bookmark by default whenever a level 1 Contents entry is generated.

If this is the cause then look at mappings for elements containing the text “BLUUUURRRY User's Guide”!

In the Content tab of the mapping you will see a control Assign to ToC level: 1. If you unselect this control, the additional bookmark will disappear, but it may take the corresponding ToC entry with it, if you are printing your own Contents.

There's several other options, depending on how you are set up, including:

• Ditch the manually created bookmark and just go with the standard one.
    • Disable the auto-bookmark creation, and manually create those that you do need.

I can give you more detailed instructions once you decide what you want to do.

Regards,
    Geoff

jlm05

The tag was never mapped to a TOC level, which is why I added the manual bookmark.

So that wouldn't seem to be the reason for the duplicate entries.

How do you turn off the automatic bookmarking? That might be helpful for me, since I have front matter tags that need to use level 2 formatting in the printed table of contents but have a level 1 bookmark.

gjn2066

(1) If you send me a full log (with debug on) I will try to determine where the duplicate bookmark is coming from. Still suspect it is a DITAmap standard (possibly during ToC creation).

(2) To prevent auto-bookmarking of ToC entries, add the following directive to your $document Pre-content:

See sec 11.8 of the Map Manager Guide for further info.

jlm05

Thanks for the info on the manual bookmarks – that will be a big help.

I figured out what was happening. We actually have two booktitlealt tags in our documents – one contains the book title and the other has version and copyright information. Both display on the title page.

I was indicating to add a level 1 bookmark using the text of the first booktitlealt, not realizing that it would add the same bookmark for both instances of the tag.

Thanks again!

gjn2066

Ahh yes. The greatest advantage and greatest DISadvantage of computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them to 😉

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support