DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion ? Tag(s) to wrap HTML content that the browser will run/process?

• Graushwein

? Tag(s) to wrap HTML content that the browser will run/process?

Participants 4
    Replies 5
    Last Activity 10 years, 6 months ago

Let me preface by saying I've been very thankful for all the help I've found in these forums!  I just got XMetal Author(6.0) and webtop for my work and am, for the most part, self-learning it.  So thank you to all the forum contributors.  I'm XML inexperienced but programming savvy.  In other words, I'm stuck.

I've been asked to find at least two solutions for the question, “How can we have external site content embedded in the web pages created with XMetal?”
    Solution 1:  The easy way.
    Solution 2:  The RIGHT way.

Any and all quick tips and reference/tutorial advice is greatly appreciated!
    My first thougtht for Solution 1 is to [u]somehow [/u] enclose an HTML Iframe and javascript within proper XML elements that the browser will execute.  (Not found.)
    The second/correct-ish solution is, of course, way beyond my experience.

Currently my mind is swimming in the recently researched DTD, DITA, and XML information but I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels.
    Thanks you.

Derek Read

Reply to: ? Tag(s) to wrap HTML content that the browser will run/process?

The answer to your question will depend highly upon which schema you are using. I think others might try to help if you could provide that information.

Also, after you create your XML:
    What do you currently use to generate the content for your website?
    What does the “external site content” look like?
    Do you have control over that external content if you need to modify it to work with what you are generating?

Graushwein

Does DITA 1.1 answer your schema question?

After the XML is created:

What do you currently use to generate the content for your website?
    EMC Documentum- Rendering
    Flat Irons – Publishing
    (After typing that out I felt a sharp “Click” in my forehead, promptly followed by a face-palm…  I'm thinking my solution options will be determined with those instead of XMetal.  I'll start diving into that stuff.  Still, any advise will still be appreciated.)

What does the “external site content” look like?
    Short term is web content from sharepoint 2010.  We control it 100%, making it ideal in the short term because it is free of red-tape.
    Long term is doing the same thing within the internal site with object oriented documentation/content.

Derek Read

[Since this is DITA I've moved the topic to the right forum.]

I'd say you'll definitely want Flatirons Solutions involved here, at the very least to make sure you don't break anything they've already built for you. It sounds like they've probably integrated the DITA Open Toolkit with Documentum for you, so that's way beyond anything we normally help with (they really are the experts for this particular type of integration).

Even if you were just using the DITA OT that comes with XMetaL Author Enterprise I'd suggest having one of our partners (like Flatirons) take look as the changes required would probably not be trivial.

Graushwein

(Sorry I had it in the wrong forum Derek.)

Is imbedding HTML as simple as:

For example, a simple otherprops value list:
    For example, a complex otherprops value list:

Derek Read

I was thinking more along the lines that you might include a in a map that references the external content, but that the DITA OT would be modified to copy that content over to where you need it to be (rather than leaving it where it is and creating a link to it in your HTML). Or maybe that is what you meant?

Since you are specifically discussing and your otherprops values mention “java” and other programming languages perhaps you want something completely different. Those are obviously not HTML. Perhaps what you need is the DITA 1.2 element:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.2/os/spec/langref/coderef.html#coderef

If so you should check that the DITA OT version that Flatirons has integrated can do something with that. You would also need to upgrade to XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 when available (which supports DITA 1.2) in which case you will need to check with Flatirons again to see what their plans are for that version, keeping in mind that our timing for XMetaL Author Enterprise for Documentum (the XMetaL – Documentum integration / bridge) will likely not be available until sometime after XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 releases.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support