General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Sharepoint connector failing to connect (RESOLVED)

• QuadricRiddler

Sharepoint connector failing to connect (RESOLVED)

Participants 6
    Replies 7
    Last Activity 10 years, 4 months ago

I am experiencing a Sharepoint repository connection problem, resulting in an error message:

The command “Open from Repository ” could not be completed by “Core”.
       Error Code : 1
       Origin        : Core
       Core Error : showChooser failed
       Adapter Error : N/A

Case:
    – 2 domain useraccounts (xmetal2, Xmetal3) working from a single windows 7 computer;
    – sharepoint repository accessed over a http connection;
    – both user accounts have lowercase windows accounts as their sharepoint access accounts;

But, through Xmetal, only one is getting access, and the other is getting the errormessage above.
    Both users DO get acccess using a webbrowser, so accounts are working (even when names are entered in lowercase).
    I synchronized their roaming CRCL sharepoint.xml files, restarted xmetal, but no solution.
    Enabled debug logging, but no clues either. Not even failing accounts messages.
    I did uninstall, clear profiles and reinstall Xmetal then Xmetal Sharepoint, also no effect.

What can be the issue? It must be in Sharepoint adapter somewhere. Is there a namestring case dependency ? Does logon to Sharepoint require exact user names?

Using Xmetal Author Enterprise 6.0.0.20, Xmetal Sharepoint extension 2.0.0.61

Any help is appreciated.

QuadricRiddler

Reply to: Sharepoint connector failing to connect (RESOLVED)

Using the 'good' account, i did manage to open the Sharepoint repository by switching user to the failing account. That worked, so access is possible.

But how to get the session context back to the former account? Calling the Open Repository again does not give me the dialog with user-switch option ??

Derek Read

Hopefully you are just troubleshooting an issue by using more than one account on the same machine. That isn't a scenario supported by our connector so it might be confused by having saved account info for both.

If you had an older version of XMetaL Author Enterprise for SharePoint installed (like 5.5 or the 6.0 beta) and upgraded to 6.0 then you should run the “cleanup tools” that are included with the installer in a subfolder called cleanup_tools. A file name readme.txt is included with them that explains which batch files to run (different ones for Windows 7 and XP).

Two of the batch files included in the cleanup_tools folder clean up the SharePoint repository cache and the configuration file. You can also shut down XMetaL Author Enterprise and then clear this folder manually to remove the configuration file:
    %appdata%SoftQuadXMetaL6.0CRCL

QuadricRiddler

Derek,

– I am into investigating usage of XmetaL on a shared pc by multiple authors. Are you telling me the Sharepoint adapter is not designed/capable of handling this use case? Best workaround would then be a shared user acount on that pc right?

– Where should the cleanup_tools dir be located, on cdrom perhaps? All i have is the installer XMetaL_Author_Enterprise_6-SP_Edition.exe ?

– Is there more documentation on the purpose of properties useWindowsUsername
    and customUserDomainName in config file
    %APPDATA%SoftQuadXmetal6.0CRCLconfigssharepoint.xml

– Is it a feature to have multiple AdapterInstances configured and somehow switch among instance configurations? Or is it intended for handling connections to multiple sharepoint servers?.

Derek Read

If you obtained the software on CDROM then yes, then cleanup_tools is a subfolder on the CD.
    If you obtained the software as a single file download then when you run that EXE it should prompt you for a location to unpack to. It is inside that location that you will find that folder.

XMetaL Author Enterprise includes “XMetaL Connector” which is a standard set of interfaces that we and our CMS partners use to create integrations between XMetaL and a CMS. This allows our user interface and these configuration settings to be standardized but not necessarily supported by all CMS integrations. They should be left as they are installed by the CMS “connector” (in this case XMetaL Author Enterprise for SharePoint is the “connector”) and only modified as documented.

You probably haven't found the “SP Edition Administrator's Guide” because we've hidden it very well and provided no links to get to it. It's here:
    AuthorCRCLadaptersSharePointdocsAdministrator Guide - XMetaL Author Enterprise for SharePoint.pdf The answers to questions about configuration properties should be answered in there. Anything not documented should be left as it is, though if it is not documented it is likely not supported by your CMS or our integration with your CMS.

We don't test connecting to multiple SharePoint servers. If that is a feature you wish us to add it is something we would want to discuss with you directly.

QuadricRiddler

– Thank you for referring to this guide. It explains a lot to me.

– I must conclude that, a windows user is stuck to a single sharepoint connection account. In a enterprise (microsoft) environment this is sensible for domain users. In my case, the sharepoint server is in the other, customer domain with different accounts.
    – I guess the single connector cache is also not capable of handling the same files fetched under different shp-users contexts.

Derek Read

You can possibly do what you want to do but you would need to be very careful and it will be annoying.

You would need to configure the connector to each server and only use that server. After you reconfigure you would then need to clear out the cache to avoid file conflicts and confusing SharePoint and the SharePoint connector.

QuadricRiddler

Original connection error dialog problem was RESOLVED.
    – by deleting (better: renaming) the personal cache directories  
    (Windows7)    %PROGRAMDATA%XMetalXMConector_Cache     into   _

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support