General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Settings not saving for some users

• Raj

Settings not saving for some users

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 10 years, 11 months ago

We are having an issue with Xmetal Version#: 5.5.0.221. We have a script that copies the xmetal55.ini file from the users %appdata% up to a file server when they log out, then restore the file when they log in so that they can have the same settings across various machines.

When I change a setting Open new documents in Tags On View my xmetal55.ini file reads

#
    document_path =
    draw_grid_on_borderless_tables = true
    on_application_run_once = false
    save_path =
    view_for_open = 1

then the next time I log in and open up xmetal the open new documents setting is saved.

When another user changes the setting they get an xmetal55.ini that reads

#
    document_path =
    draw_grid_on_borderless_tables = true
    on_application_run_once = false
    save_path =

So when we copy the ini file back and they open up Xmetal, the setting that they set has not been saved.

Is there another place that this setting is stored that I need to back up? Why is the application using .ini files which Microsoft has not recommended since 1995? How can I get it so that the settings are written out to the users profile properly?

Derek Read

Reply to: Settings not saving for some users

If you copy this file before XMetaL Author has shut down, it may overwrite some settings as part of the shutdown process as this file is written out at that time. I suspect that is what might be occurring here. Regardless, we don't test or support the scenario you are attempting.

A better solution would be to use the Microsoft Windows “roaming profiles” feature which is built right into XP, Vista and 7. Then you do not need to worry about anything inside %appdata% because it will be “moved” from machine to machine automatically. If there is a specific reason you do not use this feature perhaps you could explain in further detail. Attempting to reproduce this feature (which is handled very nicely by the operating system) seems like a waste of effort to me.

Derek Read

Well, I've had a look and the view_for_open setting is one of the settings that is written immediately when you dismiss the Tools > Options dialog (as you must have found in your own testing). So, I'm not sure why you aren't able to get a good copy to your server, but that really is beside the point I think. I would recommend using a roaming Windows profile as that really seems to be what you need.

Raj

We don't use roaming profiles as they are prone to corruption and slow down the logon/logoff process. Because of this we only copy what is required for specific applications.

Roaming profiles in this situation wouldn't help as the xmetal55.ini file copied through roaming profiles would still not have the view_for_open = 1 line in it.

Yes I saw that view_for_open is written out straight away during my testing, I'm baffled why it works for one user, and doesn't work for another.

Derek Read

Is it just this one setting that is failing, more than this one setting, all settings in the file? I can't see how just one setting could fail to write out.
    Is the time stamp on the file updated?

If the INI file cannot be written to (for whatever reason) then writing to it will silently fail. Perhaps that is what is occurring for you. The file may have the “read only” file attribute set, or perhaps it is locked by some other process.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support