General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Require some XML and XMetal terms answered

• linjinwei

Require some XML and XMetal terms answered

Participants 8
    Replies 9
    Last Activity 13 years, 10 months ago

Hi guys. I came to this forum with little knowledge of XML and XMetal. However this project that I am working is unavoidable and requires much understanding of both XML and XMetal.

Everytime I posted a question, I get responses using terms that I am not familiar with. So if possible, could I request the definition of some of these terms:

1)What is DITA? what is it used for?
    2)What is DITA Open Toolkit and how is it useful?
    3)What is the difference between XML and XSLT?

Hope I'm not a pain in the neck…

dcramer

Reply to: Require some XML and XMetal terms answered

gihyunlee

DITA Specifications (DITA Language Reference) can be found here:

http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/

linjinwei

To Clarify:
    So DITA is like a piece of paper that lets you write things on?

How about DTD? Is it things like Topic, Paragraphs, tables etc?

mag3737

The DTD is what tells you (and XMetaL) which elements exist (paragraphs, lists, etc.), and how they can all be combined.

DITA is one example of a DTD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Type_Definition

Derek Read

This is a good book to read through if you are curious about XML in general:

http://www.xmlhandbook.com/

For people new to XML some of the specifications (even the XML recommendation itself) can be difficult to read. Starting with this book will give you a very good foundation to build on. After reading this understanding any of the XML-related recommendations or specifications will be far easier.

Su-Laine Yeo

linjinwei

Thanks for all the links and explainations.
    I beginning to understand that in order to get the desired look and feel that I want in the output, I need to edit the DTD and also the css, which are found in the folders:

[code]
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL SharedDITA_OTdtd
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL SharedDITA_OTcss
    [/code]

Am i right?

gihyunlee

Thanks for all the links and explainations.
    I beginning to understand that in order to get the desired look and feel that I want in the output, I need to edit the DTD and also the css, which are found in the folders:

[code]
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL SharedDITA_OTdtd
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL SharedDITA_OTcss
    [/code]

Am i right?

If you are working with a DTD and need to make XMetaL customization, you should probably create an XMetaL Document Customization for that DTD you are working with.  I don't want to be one of those people that say “go read this it's all in there”, but do take some time to skim over and read the XMetaL customization guide and programmers guide.  Lots of good info in there specific to XMetaL customizations.

That is pretty much where I started when I first got thrown into the world of XML, DTD and XMetaL customizations.  All the guides (customization, programmers, xft, and author) have much of the needed information for one to get jump started in XMetaL customizations. 

Correct me if I'm wrong 🙂  I'm just happy to see that the XMetaL staff are very responsive in these forums!

mag3737

Editing the DTDs and CSS files in the folders mentioned here is NOT the way to go about creating changes in your DITA output.

XMetaL includes some documentation for how to customize your HTML and PDF output for DITA, covering many of the typical things people want to do.  You can find this information in the Appendices of the XMetaL Author online help (“Help > Contents” or F1).

(The Customization Guide and Programmers' Guide mentioned by Gi Hyun Lee are invaluable resources for developers customizing XMetaL, but they are much less applicable to users of DITA and non-developers.)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support