DITA and XMetaL Discussion
paul_cpwr January 17, 2014 at 5:00 pm
Refresh References showing portion of href instead of titleJanuary 17, 2014 at 5:00 pmParticipants 2Replies 3Last Activity 8 years, 8 months ago
In XMetaL Author Enterprise Edition Version#: 8.0.1.051, running on Windows 7, I used the Help > Samples menu to access the “Evaluation Guide” and I'm playing around with some of the features using this set of sample source.
I've inserted two new xref elements: one targets a different topic and the other targets a section element inside that same topic. When I insert these xref elements, the title of the target topic/section appears, just as I would expect.
When I update references (F11), however, the target titles change into a portion of the href instead of the target title. The topic reference displays as the filename/topicID and the section reference displays as the target section ID.
If I subsequently double-click these xref elements and simply accept their current values, the titles appear correctly again… until I reopen the file or press F11 again.
I do have the Tools > DITA Options dialog set to refresh xrefs/rel-links on refresh.
Any ideas on why this is happening?
Compuware CorporationDerek Read January 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Reply to: Refresh References showing portion of href instead of titleJanuary 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm
This is not normal behaviour. I'm not seeing it with my copy of 8.0.1.051, so either I'm not doing the same thing, or something has gone wrong with your installation.
Can you try to repair the install?
Then let's make sure we're on the same page:
1. In the DITA Options dialog click the “Reset to default” button on the Update Content tab then dismiss the dialog.
2. Press F11. Do you see what is expected in those links?
3. In the DITA Options dialog the “xref/related links” checkbox should be unchecked. Check it then dismiss the dialog.
4. Press F11. Do you see what is expected in those links?
In both cases (with and without that checkbox enabled) the software is working as expected in my installation.paul_cpwr January 17, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Reply to: Refresh References showing portion of href instead of titleJanuary 17, 2014 at 8:09 pm
1. I did a repair of the install.
2. In DITA Options, reset the update options to the default values (“Reset to default” button). The xref/related-links checkbox is cleared.
3. I press F11 and nothing changes; I still have the partial href values. This is expected since we just disabled updating the xrefs.
4. I double-click the two xrefs and re-accept their current target values. Now the xrefs display the expected titles.
5. I press F11 again and nothing changes; I still have the expected titles. This is expected since we disabled updating the xrefs.
6. I open the topic that is the target for the two xrefs and edit the topic title and the title for the targeted section element. I save changes.
7. I return to the original document and press F11. Nothing changes because the xref/related-links checkbox is cleared; I still see the (now) stale titles.
8. In DITA Options, I check the xref/related-links checkbox.
9. I press F11 again and the stale titles change into the partial href values that I originally reported.
If you like, I can create a Microsoft Lync meeting and demonstrate this for you (or send you a Screencast .mp4 video).
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.