General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Processing Instructions for custom templates

• esha

Processing Instructions for custom templates

Participants 5
    Replies 6
    Last Activity 12 years, 10 months ago

Hello all

I use XM Author 5.1 with  XM Dev -VS 2008.  I am here with a new question.
    I have some custom templates which I have classified using a processing instruction(PI) for some calculations.
    I have a form embedded in all these templates and this form uses the PI to classify the input of some element values. My form hides an Editbox in one of the templates. Till here, it all works perfectly.
    Now, I put my customisation (xac) to a CMS system and make a new document there. It is ok when I am creating a new file, as my XFT values are all proper.
    But, once I save and reopen a file from there, the Editbox is not hidden in any of the cases. It is displayed always.

What am I missing here?Anyone faced this situation?
    Any inputs on this would be of great help.

Thanks in advance.
    Esha

Derek Read

Reply to: Processing Instructions for custom templates

My first gut reaction is that whatever you have working outside the CMS is not actually being used by XMetaL Author when you deploy it via the CMS.

To confirm this try making a change in an unrelated file, such as the CSS (make something obviously different like pink text) and then see if that is picked up. If it isn't then you may be getting the wrong XAC loading up.

To see what's inside the XAC you can run this code and it will give you the directory where the XAC has been extracted to (at which point you should be able to check the contents of the CSS, CTM, MCR, etc):

//XMetaL Script Language JScript:
    ActiveDocument.Host.Alert(ActiveDocument.RulesFile);

You may also wish to confirm that this is working by loading the XMetaL customization on a “clean” machine that does not have XMetaL Developer on it and that has a fresh copy of XMetaL Author to make sure you will be seeing exactly what the end users will see (ie: no stray customization files lying around).

esha

Hi Derek
    Thanks for the response.

I tried these as per your suggestion.
    1. The XAC takes all other customisations correctly. A change in CSS, CTM and MCR was accepted.
    2. The Rules file path stores all the updated values in the customisation.
    3. The same occurs for users without Developer also.
    How to proceed now???
    I too feel that it may be a corruption somewhere. But, unable to locate.

Also, my XFT uses the condition check in “OnInitialize” event, which I think is the right place for form load.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
    Esha

Derek Read

At this point I would suggest you zip up your customization files, describe them in as much detail as you can and send them to XMetaL Support to see if they can troubleshoot this here after reproducing the issue. The very difficult part of this is that you say this only occurs in the context of your CMS, so they will need to know as much about that system as possible in order to try to figure out what might be triggering the issue (though I cannot see how that could possibly be the case as the CMS should not come into play here any more than it is just delivering the XAC file to the user's machine).

esha

Thanks Derek for the response.

I will try to get help from the support team.
    By the way, the CMS, as you said just fetches the xac file. The xac is renamed when loaded to the CMS and that name is used from there on. Is that an issue?
    But, even then as I see, all other customisations are fetched correctly and the only problem is with the form display.
    Any clue?

Derek Read

The XAC file name must resolve to the same filename specified in your Doctype declaration's SYSTEM path, or the catalog lookup if you are using PUBLIC only, or if using Schema then schemalocation attribute (“file name” being distinct from “file extension”, the latter of course should match the type of file).

Example for clarification:
    Declared in the XML file: foo.dtd or foo.xsd
    XAC file must be named: foo.xac

It does not matter what filename the XAC file is stored as inside the CMS. What matters is its name when it is placed on the user's machine by the CMS before the XML file is opened. This will be readily apparent however, because if the filename is incorrect (does not match) XMetaL Author will not locate it and you will prompted to browse for the DTD or XSD.

esha

Yes.. I think I have made sure that the file name is not the issue.
    But still the problem persists. I should get help from the support team now.

Thanks again Derek for you prompt responses.

Esha

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support