DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion print_local.xml not updating outputs in Xmetal 6.0

• mmoulder

print_local.xml not updating outputs in Xmetal 6.0

Participants 6
    Replies 7
    Last Activity 12 years, 4 months ago

I am on Windows 7 and when I update the print_local.xml file in the C:UsersAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMetaL6.0 directory and in the program files directory it doesn't update the configure output list in xmetal. If I add a output from within xmetal it shows up just fine. I need to send this file to other writers to update their list of outputs, but I can't get it to update. What am I missing here?

Derek Read

Reply to: print_local.xml not updating outputs in Xmetal 6.0

Please try this:

1. Remove print_local.xml from the user's per-user location.

2. Replace the “master” copy located in AuthorDITAXACssharedrenditionsprint_local.xml with your modified version. For example: C:Program FilesXMetaL 6.0AuthorDITAXACssharedrenditionsprint_local.xml Note that some versions of Windows may have special security restrictions (or your IT people may have limited write permissions to this folder).

3. As each user (on this machine) generates output they should get your settings.

mmoulder

Derek,

We deleted it from:
    C:UsersAppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMetaL6.0

And put the new print_local.xml file at:
    C:Program FilesXMetaL 6.0AuthorDITAXACssharedrenditionsprint_local.xml

Then opened Xmetal and tried to build as well as configure outputs and the new outputs don't show up. I am attaching the file for you to see and test with if you want.

Derek Read

Well, in my tests I can see that when I follow my own instructions the print_local.xml file is being copied to the right folder (%appdata%SoftQuadSoftQuadXMetaL6.0), however, the settings it contains are not being exposed in the “Configure Output” dialog for some reason.

I see that there are some hard-coded paths specific to your user account in the print_local.xml file you are using and that may have something to do with it. I need to check with the developer in charge to see if we can get this working as it should for you. It is possible that some direct massaging of the file might be required (ie: by editing it as XML file rather than using the dialogs in the UI to make these paths generic so they work for all users).

Derek Read

Unfortunately the code that our UI uses to save these settings is designed to configure things for your specific machine and not in a generic way. I'll ask that we alter this (feature request) to aid with deployment to multiple machines. We have “help admins to deploy settings for users” as a long term goal and this would likely fall into that project.

So, for now, some hand coding is required to fix up the paths and make them generic so they work for everyone. I'm attaching a copy of your file modified so that it should work. This file format is not documented so hopefully you have a DIFF tool (like Microsoft's free WinDiff or something else like the open source WinMerge) in case you need to compare and see what has been altered.

Note that as you are using AppLocale the path to it should be checked (the parameter is listed inside the file as “ANT_PARAM_args.htmlhelp.runapplocale”). It is possible that on some machines this path might be different, though I don't think the Microsoft installer allows you to select the installation location it might decide to put it elsewhere. You can open these deliverable type configuration files in TagsOn view in XMetaL to make simple changes (a very basic customization is provided, but again, the format is as of yet totally undocumented and in theory could change in the future).

Derek Read

Off topic, but somewhat related to my last post, I've been trying out KDiff3 recently and find that I like it more than WinMerge in most cases.

mmoulder

I actually like Beyond Compare, but it costs money.

mmoulder

Oh, and by the way, that last file fixed things. Thank you for that. I forgot I had changed the paths for an 64 bit machine with the Program Files (x86) directory. It would be sweet if you guys came out with a 64 bit xmetal by the way.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support