DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion Plain text tab disabled

• dduffy

Plain text tab disabled

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 12 years, 11 months ago

Hi,

I recetnly installed the XMetaL Documentum Webtop client and I no longer have the Plain Text editor available to use. Was this done intentionally? We are just in the process of testing and do not have the Documentum server installation complete. I did not see how I could uninstall the client peice without uninstalling the entire XMetaL product.

Su-Laine Yeo

Reply to: Plain text tab disabled

Yes, Plain Text View is disabled when using Documentum. There is a technical reason for, although I'm afraid I can't remember what it is. If you just need to see what the XML source looks like, you can do a Select All in Tags On or Normal View, copy, and then paste into a third-party document editor.

Derek Read

We disable Plain Text view for the Documentum integration in case the Documentum DocApp being used uses Documentum's “chunking” feature. It is necessary to stay in TagsOn or Normal view in order to properly track changes made to the various “chunks” that make up a particular document and pass that information along to Documentum.

It is possible to turn Plain Text view back on. However, this can be dangerous. The basic requirement is that none of your DocApps can use the Documentum “chunking” feature.

You will also need to be cautious when making changes in Plain Text view because modifying Documentum-specific attributes that the CMS relies on could potentially break check in, check out, versioning and possibly other things. These attributes can be made invisible and / or read only in TagsOn and Normal view (which is done), but this is impossible in Plain Text view, where anything goes and the entire document is basically what you see is what will be saved to disc, character for character.

It is also very easy to put a document into an invalid state in Plain Text view because “Rules Checking” is not available in that view: any element, attribute, and attribute value can be inserted anywhere and even things not defined in the DTD can be inserted and far worse. You will only know the document is invalid if you force validation (using F9 or by attempting to switch to TagsOn or Normal view).

The CMS connectors we provide (Documentum, SharePoint, FileNet, and any others, including future ones) and those provided by our CMS partners will generally disable Plain Text view for similar reasons.

If having access to Plain Text view is a true requirement for your authors I would recommend contacting XMetaL Support directly for instructions by submitting a support case. You should then be fully aware of the caveats above, do your own testing in the context of your own system, and possibly provide special training to make sure your authors are aware of the potential to “break” documents stored in your CMS and how to avoid doing that (what not to touch). You may also wish to only enable this view for certain “advanced” authors, or maybe people in an admin-like position in order to reduce the number of problems enabling this view has the potential to unleash.

dduffy

Thanks Derek. I see in the online help, there is a properties file that can be adjusted to turn the Plain Text view back on. I think it would be a good idea to include as a warning/caution the info in your reply as part of that online help. You are right to strongly suggest that this should not occur.

Derek Read

I'm surprised there is no warning. I was under the impression that there was at least a message in the properties file warning not to make any changes to it. I will check that and see if we can document this somewhere.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support