DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion Output did not fail…I stopped it…

• gcrews

Output did not fail…I stopped it…

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 7 years, 10 months ago

Is there any way to change the behavior of when you press “stop” in the output generation dialog. It stops and then acts like the compile failed. Why doesn’t it just cancel and not say it failed and then try and open the log file and web browser version of the xml…

Derek Read

Reply to: Output did not fail…I stopped it…

It sounds like what you are asking is to change the title of the dialog from “Output Failed” to “Output Interupted” (or similar) and then maybe change the message below the path to something that means “You pressed the stop button so output did not finish.” (maybe we can come up with something better).

I don't think there is a way to more gracefully interrupt the DITA OT (or Java) so I don't think we could do much more than change the text (in case you are hoping for more).

The checkbox for opening the log file defaults to checked when output “fails”. Perhaps what you are saying is that we should have a third option for automatically opening the log and not giving you the option to skip opening it (by unchecking the checkbox)? I guess that would need to be something set elsewhere.

Please elaborate on what you mean by “web browser version of the xml”. Which file(s) are we talking about here?

gcrews

web browser version of the xml

Derek Read

I see. Knowing that you are switching to “Browser Preview” gives the context I needed. I'll discuss with development.

With the current design of the events that drive XMetaL Author (these are pretty old, possibly dating to the mid 1990s and with a previous product) I suspect that might be difficult, though nothing is impossible I suppose. However, a simple message could possibly be displayed there instead of opening the un-transformed file.

What is more important to you?
    1. Saving you from having to a click to return to your previous view.
    2. Reducing the need to explain to your users that they can safely ignore what is displayed when they abort the output?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support