DITA and XMetaL Discussion

• kwag_myers

Multiple DITA OTs

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 11 years, 5 months ago

Since the DITA OT is duplicated into the user profile, I'm wondering if you can maintain multiple OTs using various profiles.

I've made several changes to XSLs and other files in order to meet my client's request to match the appearance of the web-based products I'm writing for. Currently, I'm producing documentation for five separate applications and having to swap files each time I generate output for each. It's getting messy, and I understand there is more on the way.

So, I'm looking for an easier way to manage multiple versions of the OT. Would multiple user profiles work?

gcrews

Reply to: Multiple DITA OTs

Could probably use the DITA_OT_BUILD_DIR parameter as described in
    http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,997.0.html

Derek Read

Multiple user profiles will work for sure. That is one of the main requirements we had for designing the feature this way as there are often multiple people using the same hardware.

However, in your case I think gcrews suggestion would be better. You are more of a developer in the sense of how you are using the product and so using that parameter would allow you to switch between copies on the fly without needing to log in and back out again and pretend to be different people. Using different accounts might have the advantage of putting you in a different mindset, but there are no technical advantages that I can see.

Derek Read

Keep in mind that although that post (http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,997.0.html) suggests that DITA_OT_BUILD_DIR can be used on a “shared” drive, you cannot have multiple people using that same copy of the OT, unless you can guarantee that they will not use it at the same time.

However, if you use it to create the following and switch between these you will be OK:

C:DITA_clientA
    C:DITA_clientB
    C:DITA_clientC

A more comprehensive discussion of DITA OT deployment is here:
    http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,1008.msg3257.html#msg3257 (see the recording and slides)

kwag_myers

Ah, I should have posted this weeks ago. This works great!

I'm assuming I only need to change the directory in the parameter for each client when generating the output (way easier than what I was doing)?

I should also add, the first generation with the parameter displays with the original index.html, header_bg.gif, etc. These are all files I had replaced to match the appearance of the products I'm writing for. Yeah, my heart skipped a beat when I first saw it, but once I realized what needed to be done, it was all good.

Thank you both, and Su-Laine Yeo, too.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support