DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion Map editor: Possible to turn off auto ID and navtitle?

• garyzim

Map editor: Possible to turn off auto ID and navtitle?

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 8 years, 3 months ago

Using XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 SP1.

Wondering if there is a way to turn off the automatic map ID and navtitle generation in the map editor.  If we use XMetaL's (superior) map editor, those attributes mess up our content management system.  This forces us to either use the inferior (in our opinion) map editor that comes with the CMS, or explicitly edit out those attributes from XMetaL-produced maps before we import them to our CMS.  Thanks very much.

Derek Read

Reply to: Map editor: Possible to turn off auto ID and navtitle?

There is no way to do this (short of hacking / rewriting the script code that drives the Map Editor).

The navtitle attribute value is actually used to render the titles that are displayed in the Map Editor. If they were removed and that feature disabled I believe you would see a list of items named “topicref” in the Map Editor, which would make it difficult to work with.

Derek Read

It would be interesting to know which CMS you are using.

I'm not aware of any that have a “connector” designed to work with XMetaL Author Enterprise (the code that integrates our software with the CMS) that would have issues with attributes. If yours does have issues you may wish to ask the creator of the connector (probably the CMS vendor) to work with our partner program so that the two systems will work well together. If there is no connector then creating one would very likely help to resolve any issues like this. Either way, it may make sense to have the creator of the connector (if they are one or our partners) discuss this with our development team. When a CMS is integrated with XMetaL Author Enterprise it should also work well with DITA, as the DITA authoring feature is designed to work seamlessly with “XMetaL Connector” (the layer of code that CMS connectors use interact with the XMetaL UI).

Presumably these attribute problems mean the CMS has some specific requirements for their values, a specific format that goes beyond the ID and CDATA types as defined in the DITA DTDs? If the ID is somehow tracked in the CMS then most likely you should be getting the CMS to create the map file so that it can set an ID value that it likes. XMetaL Author Enterprise should not modify an existing ID value in a map, it should only add one when it is not present (typically this occurs for maps created from template via File > New).

You may also wish to note that XMetaL Author Enterprise is currently at version 9 (with versions prior to 8 not being officially supported except for specific cases where CMS vendors have old connectors that require an older version).

garyzim

Hi Derek, and thanks very much.

We are using the Astoria CCMS (6.1 database, hotfix 15) and XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0.2.070, soon upgrading to XMetaL AE 8 (I note wryly that you say the current version is 9).  

We use Astoria's “WAN bridge” as the connector between Astoria and XMetaL.  I believe you are correct that Astoria uses it's own ID to track things (evey structural element, actually, which is a neat concept), and it doesn't like the standard DITA IDs XMetaL adds.

Because of the perceived problems with the XMetaL map editor inserting tags that, for some reason, we didn't want (or that messed up Astoria somehow), we have been admonished against using the XMetaL map editor, and instead are required to use the (less capable, I think) map editor that comes with Astoria.  

I wasn't sure this was a real issue, or just our lack of full understanding the interactions between the programs and the XMetaL map editor configuration options.  The “it puts stuff in the maps that mess us up” warnings happened a while ago in our use of the two programs, and I am not sure the issue(s) that precipitated the taboo against xmetal's map editor were still real issues for us.  But once bitten twice shy, and it's difficult to have the issue reconsidered – the terrible inertia of status quo (it's working now, so let's not mess with it).

The information you provided leads me to think that, if we can't create the maps in XMetaL, at least we should be able to open and edit existing, Astoria-created maps in the XMetaL map editor.

Thanks!

— garyZ

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support