General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion List numbering strangeness in the editor

• odeon

List numbering strangeness in the editor

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 11 years, 5 months ago

I've noticed a possible numbered list display bug in the XMetaL's Tag View. I have a numbered list, something like this:

One

Two

Three

…

I'm generating a number before every list item in the CSS, like this:

list[type=”ordered”] list-item {
      display: list-item;
      list-style-type: decimal;
      list-style-position: inside;
      margin-left: 1cm;
    }

Nothing very fancy, in other words. But when I'm editing in Tag View, those generated numbers vary in size within the same list, making some of them appear smaller than the text in the list-item/p structure, seemingly at random. Folding the list and then expanding it again can change this, making previously smaller number appear normal in size and shrinking others.

See the attached image for an example–the last item's generated number is smaller than the others.

Normal View does not have this behaviour.

I'm running XMetaL Version 6.0.1.030 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. Can my Nvidia card (512MB nVIDIA Quadro NVS3100m on a T510 Lenovo laptop) be to blame?

Derek Read

Reply to: List numbering strangeness in the editor

Thank you. Yes, this is a known issue that we have so far chosen to not address as the effect on writers is negligible. It is on the list of things to do and we may correct it in the future.

This is unrelated (probably won't fix your problem) but normally I would write your CSS using two selectors (you seem to have tried to combine both into one with settings that don't quite make sense when combined into the list selector):

list[type="ordered"] {
     display: block;
    }

list-item {
    }

odeon

There is a lot more CSS for list items in that stylesheet — the list-item element appears in many contexts. I tend to place list-style-type on list items rather than the list wrapper.

There should be an angle bracket between the wrapper and the item, though: list[type=”ordered”]>list-item, because that's the context I am dealing with in this case.

Cheers.

Derek Read

I'm not sure I understand why it would make sense to set list-style-type on a list item. If you have different types of lists then you would do something like this:

list[type=”ordered”] {
    }

list[type=”unordered”] {
      list-style-type: disc;
    }

list-item {
    }

The settings you have may give you the correct appearance, but I don't think it is the intended usage (if you read the CSS recommendation this might be more clear — essentially the reason why the “display:list-item” property exists is to use it on list-item-like elements that have a container, and the container is where you set the list-style-type).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support