DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion Invalid xref rendering in "Enhanced PDF via RenderX"?

• mgutbier

Invalid xref rendering in "Enhanced PDF via RenderX"?

Participants 8
    Replies 9
    Last Activity 12 years, 10 months ago

I have xref references in the section of a DITA reference document.

The document has a structure like this:

see               format=”dita” scope=”local”>
             Description of class csxProperties

The html output works as expected and shows the link:
    see [u]Description of class csxProperties [/u]

The PDF output shows the title of the linked chapter followed by a heading “Related Links“. The xref content is omitted.

see [u]csxPropertiesClass Reference[/u] on page 47
    Related Links

1) I would expect for the PDF output to use the XREF content, as the html output does.
    2) The order between the links and the heading is obviously wrong.
    3) The heading “Related Links” occurs independendly whether there are links in the text or not.

Is there any quick workaround ?

mgutbier

Reply to: Invalid xref rendering in "Enhanced PDF via RenderX"?

Question No. 2 has been partly resolved. The text “Related Links” seems to belong to the element , which I do not use in my document. But why is it printed?

Derek Read

Either I cannot reproduce the issue because I cannot create a set of files containing the same content you have, or I don't understand exactly what is being described.

To start, when you generate your PDF which “deliverable type” are you selecting?
    There is possibly a difference between them:
    – PDF via FO with default processing (PDF transtype)
    – Book via RenderX (PDF2 transtype)
    – XMetaL Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP (our “PDF3” transtype)

Do you have the option (checkbox) “show related links in output” checked? (this is done in Tools > Configure Output)

Which version of XMetaL Author Enterprise are you running?

If you can provide a set of test files inside a zip that would be best. Then we'd have exactly the same files to work with. Pare this down to just enough files needed to reproduce the issue (I think a map, reference topic and the topic that reference topic references is likely enough).

Derek Read

Sorry, I see you had “Enhanced PDF via RenderX” in your title (I was concentrating on the body of the message). The rest of the questions still apply though.

leo71

We have exactly the same problem.

In HTML it works fine. You can overrride the default text with your own, but in the PDF it doesn't work.

It is somewhere in or before the MERGED process.

I have attached a very short ditamap and concept file.
    The xref Help is clear:
    must fill the default (target) description.
    my text if you want to override it.
    – Typically you want to use this to have inline references to glossary terms

The problem is worse:
    – If you my text and press F11, this text is refreshed and loads it's targets text
    – If you build PDF is is lost as well.
    – BTW one of our writers noticed that there is an exception for type=”li”. Those xrefs are not refreshed

(XM5.5 Enterprise user)

Su-Laine Yeo

This is a known bug in the DITA Open Toolkit: “5  PDF2 ignores contents of elements” http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=725074&aid=1880097&group_id=132728

It is fixed in DITA OT version 1.5, however XMetaL does not ship with that version yet. If you know how to install and run the DITA OT separately from XMetaL, you can take the XML files that you create in XMetaL and run them through version 1.5 of the DITA OT. Or you can wait for JustSystems to support an integration between XMetaL and the DITA OT version 1.5.

leo71

Ok. But DITA-OT is only the first half of the problem (and solution) in that case.

If you press F11 in XMetal, it will overwrite your text with the default (=target) text as well.

Leo

Su-Laine Yeo

Yes, I see the problem with F11 (Update References). Thanks for reporting that. I've logged it as a defect to be addressed in a future release of XMetaL.

You probably already know this, but for others watching: For now, if you use text in elements, I suggest going to Tools > DITA Options and turning off the “Refresh references when opening topics” option. And then don't press F11. 

leo71

There is no possible hack to the current *.js files (or is it inside a .xac file) in the XMetal/DITA folder to bypass this?
    I off course don't know exactly which one do exactly handle the refresh references action.

Derek Read

No, there is currently no fix sitting here waiting to go.

The issue is on our list of things to do though, along with many other features being implemented and bugs being addressed (for DITA and XMetaL Author in general as a platform for other Schemas).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support