General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Invalid Document with an empty Validation Log

• ndudek

Invalid Document with an empty Validation Log

Participants 6
    Replies 7
    Last Activity 10 years, 9 months ago

Good Morning,

we experienced a very strange and annoying bug with our XMetaL Author Essentials 5.5.0.221 and XMetaL Author Essentials 5.5.0.266. It's a non-modified XMetaL Client.

We opened a document and edited the XML File. Then we tried to save the document and received a “Document is not valid” MessageBox and the Validation Log. If we click on Cancel, the document stays as it is, but another try to save the document or to get into plain text view will empty the full document and any changes will get lost!

I hope that this problem can be fixed because it's very annoying.

Regards

Derek Read

Reply to: Invalid Document with an empty Validation Log

I am unable to guess what this issue might be and will need further information in order to reproduce the issue. Because the product is “unmodified” (which I assume means no “application level” customizations are loaded, including integrations with 3rd party systems such as a CMS) the issue is most likely being triggered by the “document level” customization that is loaded for the XML file you have open in your screen capture.

Please submit your customization (DTD, CSS, CTM and any other files that it loads including MCR, XFT and possibly other files) to XMetaL Support so they can look at it and figure out what is triggering this behaviour.

ndudek

Hello Derek,

here are the files you asked me to submit.
    I hope you can find this bug.

Derek Read

If this is urgent it would be best that you submit a case to XMetaL Support as I suggested (assuming you have a maintenance agreement).
    However, I will see what I can do.

Derek Read

What you have submitted here is not enough to reproduce your issue. I can create a new document based on your customization but at that point I will be guessing how to reproduce the exact issue.

Please open a case with [url=http://na.justsystems.com/contact-support.php]XMetaL Support[/url] and submit the following:

1. An XML sample file that reproduces the issue.
    2. Your customization files and your DTD (not just the RLX file). What you have here does not include the original DTD.
    3. If special steps are required to reproduce the issue (after opening your XML sample) please provide an exact set of steps that will reliably trigger the problem each time.

Note that a DTD often consists of more than one file so make sure you send all files.

If you have never submitted a case to XMetaL Support keep in mind that you cannot submit files with an initial inquiry. You will get an email response to which you can reply and include any files as an attachment.

If you are not the developer of this customization please contact them first. They may be able to correct the issue without the need for XMetaL Support. If they do need help have them communicate with XMetaL Support directly as it is very possible the customization will need modification.

ndudek

Hello Derek,
    the problem is that we couldn't reproduce the issue. In the most cases, the issue won't happen. And only sometimes it will happen. It doesn't depend on the xml file because we edited more than one xml file and the issue will get triggered only sometimes.
    So there is no chance of getting this reproduced because when we edited the same things twice it is mostly fine and the file is valid.

I opened a XMetaL Support case. Hope i will receive an e-mail in future.

Derek Read

This is getting pretty confusing. XMetaL Support has asked a number of additional questions in response to your support case. It sounds like you are not getting those emails for some reason. Please check for messages from [email protected] in your spam / email blocking software.

XMetaL Support has questions about your maintenance agreement. You will need to resolve those with the XMetaL sales team before they can support you.

Ultimately, an XML sample and your DTD will be required (not just the RLX) as well as some kind of reproduction steps. Even if you think those steps are trivial they are still needed.

There are infinite ways to build an XML file from your DTD. Having a sample of what your content looks like is therefore absolutely necessary.

The DTD is needed as it will help with understanding your content model. It is also possible that there is something in it that is incorrect.

A set of steps are needed because there are so many ways to do things in the product. For example, just opening a file can be done in at least 5 ways. Even describing how a user normally works will be something. If you are entitled to support then XMetaL Support can get on a WebEx and watch how someone uses your customization.

ndudek

Hello Derek,
    i was on vacation so i couldn't reply to your post, but now i can.

I never received e-mails from the support team, therefor is it possible to send you the DTD and all necessary files privatly? We don't want to post the DTD in public form here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support