DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion Index and Search in WebHelp output

• Louise60447

Index and Search in WebHelp output

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 10 years, 4 months ago

Hello!

I'm finding that the index and search functions in my WebHelp output are not working as expected. For the index, multiple topics for a single index term are not returned. That is, if an index term is used in more than one topic, and I click on that term in the WebHelp index, one of the topics with that index term displays in the content pane. I would expect a list of all of the topics in which that term appears, similar to what happens in a CHM index.

In WebHelp search, I'm finding that topics not included in the TOC are excluded from the search results.

I'm using XMetaL 6.0.1. Has anyone else encountered this behavior? Is there a configuration point that I'm missing?

Thanks so much for your help.
    Louise

Derek Read

Reply to: Index and Search in WebHelp output

These are known limitations. This functionality should improve over time but that won't help you today.

You might might wish to disable what is produced by WebHelp for search (that's easily done by removing the link from the main page) and look into integrating something purpose built by a company that specializes in searching. There are many solutions for this (including Google of course which is probably the easiest and also free). However, one that runs locally that sticks out for me is [url=http://www.wrensoft.com/zoom/]ZoomSearch[/url]

Louise60447

Thanks so much for the speedy reply, Derek. I really appreciate the advice!

akaAnnAdams

We are using XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0. Has the search capability improved in XMetaL Author Enterprise 8.0?

Best regards,
    Ann Adams
    Kofax Software

Derek Read

It is exactly the same as that generated by 7.0.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support