General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion How do I detect if the cursor is outside of the root element?

• scotth

How do I detect if the cursor is outside of the root element?

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 11 years, 1 month ago

Working with xmax 6.0, I happened to notice that the selection object is not getting updated when I click outside of the root element (i.e. at the very beginning or very end of the document). How can I detect that it has been placed outside of the root element? I noticed that XMetaL forces the cursor back inside the root element when you click outside of it, and I would like to do the same thing, if possible.

Derek Read

Reply to: How do I detect if the cursor is outside of the root element?

The value for the nodeName for the whole document is $DOCUMENT.

However, the macro that does this in XMetaL Author uses a different strategy. That macro is in the xmetal.mcr in the Macros folder in XMetaL Author Essential and Enterprise.

Here's a copy (note that the first comment is outdated and incorrect, though it does not apply to XMAX anyway):

[code]
    // this will only work if no On_Update_UI macro is defined for the DTD
    if (Selection.IsInsertionPoint && ActiveDocument.ViewType == 1) {
    // this should only apply to the tags-on view, and allow selection of the top-level element
      if (Selection.ContainerNode == null) {
          Selection.MoveRight();
      }
      if (Selection.ContainerNode == null) {
          Selection.MoveLeft();
      }
    }
    ]]>
    [/code]

As written, it allows an author to select, edit and remove things that are outside the root (comments and PIs for example).

scotth

Sadly, Selection.ContainerNode is still pointing to the previously selected node when I click outside of the root element in tags-on view. Granted, this is in XMAX, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I will keep digging to see if I can come up with any possible solutions.

scotth

I take back my previous comment. I must have been looking at one of my own objects that was not in sync with the XMAX control. After revisiting my code, I was able to implement the solution you presented.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support