DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion File Not Found exception for PDF Output

• MFerris

File Not Found exception for PDF Output

Participants 6
    Replies 7
    Last Activity 8 years ago

I'm trying to generate PDF output for a DITA file but it seems that when the generation begins, the DITA files are not copied into the temp gen folder. Here is a line from the output log:

[chunk] [DOTX008E][ERROR] File 'C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempchangeIndex.dita' does not exist or cannot be loaded.

I am getting the same message for every DITA file I use in the ditamap. However when I create a simple DITA topic file and add it to the map, it appears on the output in the PDF just file. Could this be a problem with my specializations? I've tried dumping the dita files straight into the temp folder but it just gets emptied out as part of the PDF generation process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I just tried adding the full file path of the file into the href inside the ditamap file and now I get a different error:
    C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTpluginsorg.dita.basebuild_preprocess.xml:39: Failed to run pipeline: [DOTJ012F][FATAL] Failed to parse the input file 'D:XMetaL_ProjectsXA3 CustomizationdtdtechnicalContentxa3_map.ditamap'. The XML parser reported the following error: : null

Derek Read

Reply to: File Not Found exception for PDF Output

Try adding the following to “Other output parameters” in Tools > Configure Output on the Advanced tab.

ANT_PARAM_dita.ext  =  .dita

If that doesn't help, contact XMetaL Support and provide a sample they can test with so they can try to reproduce the issue.

MFerris

Try adding the following to “Other output parameters” in Tools > Configure Output on the Advanced tab.

ANT_PARAM_dita.ext  =  .dita

If that doesn't help, contact XMetaL Support and provide a sample they can test with so they can try to reproduce the issue.

Thanks Derek, it appears to have solved the File Not Found Exceptions. However, I am now getting these output failed messages in the log:
    [java] Transformation failed: Run-time errors were reported
     ↓  C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTpluginscom.xmetal.xmfobuild.xml:278: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Premature end of file.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I replaced the xmfo folder with the original from the Xmetal 9.0 install, and now it appears that xmetal can't find it's license?
    ↓  [java] Could not create XEP formatter: java.io.FileNotFoundException: D:XMetaL_ProjectsXA3 CustomizationdtdtechnicalContentlicense.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)

Derek Read

license.xml is the license file for RenderX XEP. It should be generated when you launch XMetaL Author Enterprise and it is removed when you shut down. Not sure which version you have though and this functionality has changed over time. Our software generates this license file each time it starts up because the RenderX licensing agreement allows you to use XEP only with our software.

If you restart XMetaL Author is that file created? I don't know why it is looking for the license.xml file at the location specified in your error. It should be generated in the RenderX subfolder that sits next to the main DITA OT folder.

With XMetaL Author Enterprise 9 (current release) you should have something like this:

C:ProgramDataSoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OT
    C:ProgramDataSoftQuadXMetaLSharedrenderx
    C:ProgramDataSoftQuadXMetaLSharedrenderxlicense.xml

In older versions we used to install to one location and deploy and run it elsewhere. See: http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php?topic=237.0

MFerris

EDIT:

I've completely  replaced the C:ProgramDataSoftQuad folder with the original install one and there appears to be progress. It's now producing a successful output, however the PDF doesn't contain any data from the sample.dita file. The output log produced these error messages:

↓  [code] [gen-list] [DOTJ013E][ERROR] Failed to parse the referenced file 'D:XMetaL_ProjectsXA3 CustomizationdtdtechnicalContentsample.dita'. The XML parser reported the following error:
      ↓  [gen-list] D:XMetaL_ProjectsXA3 CustomizationdtdtechnicalContentxa3_s_TextDomain.ent (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [mappull] C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTxslpreprocessmappullImpl.xsl:447: Error! java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified) Cause: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [mappull] C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTxslpreprocessmappullImpl.xsl:538: Error! java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified) Cause: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [mappull] C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTxslpreprocessmappullImpl.xsl:816: Error! java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified) Cause: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [mappull] C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTxslpreprocessmappullImpl.xsl:939: Error! java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified) Cause: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [chunk] [DOTX008E][ERROR] File 'C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita' does not exist or cannot be loaded.
      ↓  [bookmap-preprocess] java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [bookmap-preprocess] java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita (The system cannot find the file specified)
      ↓  [pipeline] [DOTX008E][ERROR] File 'C:PROGRA~3SoftQuadXMetaLSharedDITA_OTtempsample.dita' does not exist or cannot be loaded.
    [/code]

How do I change the file location where it looks for the .ent file in the second line? For testing purposes, I've moved all the .ent and .mod files to the location its looking in. Now I get an “Output Failed” message, but no errors in the output log.. strange.

Derek Read

If you have specialized DITA DTDs then you need to tell the DITA OT how to find those files by modifying its catalog file.
    The DITA OT catalog file is here: …DITA_OTcatalog-dita_template.xml

Add new id values for your DTD to the end of that file. You should see some already there that you can base yours on (the ones we add are used for the “Reusable Component” feature).

MFerris

Great, that has solved those error messages. However now, I get an output failed message with no error messages what-so-ever. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help so far Derek.

EDIT: Problem solved. Output is now being generated, turns out that my specialization of a element was breaking the output but strangely the output log was not giving any indication as to where the error/problem was. For learning purposes, why did it not show up in the output log as an error? It validates in XMetal Author (version 9).

Derek Read

Limitations in the DITA OT (which generates the output log) should be logged with the DITA OT project so the people working on it can fix or improve it (or you can submit your own changes if you create one for a particular use case you have).

https://github.com/dita-ot/dita-ot/issues

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support