DITA and XMetaL Discussion
tmakita April 10, 2012 at 6:22 am
Fatal error in Japanese configuration in XMetaL7.0April 10, 2012 at 6:22 amParticipants 0Replies 1Last Activity 10 years, 10 months ago
Dear Forum members,
I found fatal configuration problems using XMetaL 7.0 for Japanese PDF output. If an user outputs Japanese content PDF tha Japanese character does not appear at all. I fixed it by following. I wish next servise pack contains these fixes otherwise XMetaL will miss Japanese user!
1. xmfo font configuration
C:Users[User Name]AppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMetaL SharedDITA_OTdemoxmfocfgfofont-mappings.xml
This configuration file does not use popular Japanese font installed in C:WindowsFonts. “KozMinProVI-Regular” is a font that comes with Adobe Reader. The most popular font in Japanese Windows are “MS-Gothic” and “MS-MIncho”.
This should be:
This should be:
This should be also:
2. XMetaL xmfo customization mistake
C:Users[User Name]AppDataRoamingSoftQuadXMetaL SharedDITA_OTdemoxmfoCustomizationfoattrsxm-cfgcommons-attr.xsl
All of the spaces in
..must be removed.
This *MUST* be:
Otherwise proper font substitution for Japanese will not be done. (This is the bug from XMetaL6.0 version.)
3. XEP configuration
XEP is not configured to use Japanese fonts in C:WindowsFonts.
The following font *MUST* be added.
I hope this helps!
Regards,Derek Read April 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm
Reply to: Fatal error in Japanese configuration in XMetaL7.0April 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm
The 6.0 Japanese edition ships with these types of changes. It also installs special fonts that can be embedded into PDF files (though clients are free to change these settings as you have done if they wish to embed alternate fonts into their PDF files). A Japanese edition of 7.0 has not been created yet. You have the “regular” release.
I will pass your suggestion along to the development team so they can decide if they want to put these types of changes into the regular release. I am not sure what the plans are for a 7.0 Japanese edition yet.
Note that previous versions of the DITA OT did not handle file names containing non-ASCII characters very well. If a path contained a Japanese character the DITA OT would fail to produce output. So, you may also need to enable the following setting (this is enabled by default in the 6.0 Japanese edition).
Tools > Configure Output > Advanced (tab)
cmd_fs_sandboxing = yes
This setting is set to “no” in the regular release. When enabled, and you are working with the local file system (and not a CMS with a proper XMetaL connector installed) it tells XMetaL Author Enterprise to make a copy of your input files, change all file names to use ASCII characters only, and fix up all links accordingly. Once that is done the new copy of your input files is passed on to the DITA OT for processing.
I am not sure if that is necessary with the current version of the DITA OT that comes with XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 (version 1.5.4).
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.