General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion essential customization

• KdG

essential customization

Participants 4
    Replies 5
    Last Activity 13 years, 7 months ago

We purchased several XMetaL essential licences.

After unpackung I noticed that there was no customizable folder in the xmetal folder (as there used to be in the previous versions).
    I placed it there myself with the neccessary customisation files. However, at installation no customization files were copied.

How can I distribute a customized installable copy of XMetal Essential?

Derek Read

Reply to: essential customization

We are no longer able to support this feature due to restrictions in what installers are allowed to do under newer versions of Windows, particularly Vista and UAC.

You will need to create a script, batch file or 'wrapper installer' that first launches the XMetaL Essential installer (probably silently is best to avoid user interaction) and then overwrites or removes any existing files you wish to modify and adds your own custom files using whichever method your own installer technology provides. Note that some things may not be possible to do with a script or batch file and you may need to use a dedicated installer SDK of some kind.

The same answer applies to XMetaL Author Enterprise.

KdG

Thank you Derek for the explanation.
    It may be useful for the community to add this info to the install-readme file.

Kees

dblisset

This information seems somewhat contradictory to the deploying customizations section of the XMetal Developer Customization Guide. Could you please clarify?

Derek Read

The information in the Customization Guide does not apply as of the 5.5 release of both XMetaL Essential and XMetaL Author Enterprise. It may be that the documentation team did not have time to alter this for the XMetaL Developer 5.5 release, or it may be that they hesitated to remove it because we still have some people deploying older versions (in which case it would have been nice to clarify that).

I will recommend that this information be updated so that people do not get the wrong idea that it should still function with the XMetaL 5.5, and later, releases.

odeon

We're still deploying 5.1 and depend on the Customizable folder, for now. Lucky thing I read this before we move to 5.5. 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support