DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion displaying SVG images in PDF output

• IF

displaying SVG images in PDF output

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 12 years, 2 months ago

Any idea why my SVG images don't display in the PDF output?
    I can view the images in XMetal Author (I have installed Adobe SVG viewer) but the SVG images don't appear at all in the PDF output.
    Using XMetal 6.0 on Windows 7. Deliverable type is XMetal Enhanced PDF via RenderX XEP.
    Thanks. Isabelle

IF

Reply to: displaying SVG images in PDF output

So it seems that the problem is with my SVG files. I created these files with Inkscape and Visio and they don't work. Does anyone have recommendations on tools I should use to create my SVG files? Thanks.

Derek Read

Not answering your question directly, but the RenderX XEP documentation on their support for SVG, is here:
    http://www.renderx.com/reference.html#SVG

You could use that to figure out if the SVG files created by a specific tool will work, or to limit the output created by your current tool if possible.

Perhaps you could send RenderX some samples that don't work so they can attempt to improve support for SVG.

An alternative would be to save the SVG images as a different image type (if your software allows for that) that can be embedded into a PDF.

IF

Thanks – this did offer some clues. This is from the RenderX documentation:

SVG image height and width can be expressed in the following units: px, pc, pt, cm, mm, in. Other unit identifiers are not supported.

For some of my images, the issue was that no units were specified for width/height. For those images, I was able to display the image once I added units (either by editing the SVG file directly or by specifying an image size from the XMetal GUI).

Thanks again.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support