General XMetaL Discussion

• chandan7891

CPU utilization

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 11 years, 7 months ago

Hi Dareek

We are using XMetal author 5.5 and the scenario is that when ever we are validating a file of around 2MB it is taking 50-60 % of CPU…  As i had said earlier that we had integrate [email protected] with xmetal… so what is happing as the validation take place when
    1) Some one open the file.
    2)If some one press F9.
    3)Some one close the file.

So if someone is opening a 2MB file then other editor is finding very difficult to edit in their opens files and the new editor is not able to connect to the [email protected]

Please suggest what to do?? Your suggestion is very important..

Derek Read

Reply to: CPU utilization

Are you asking if XMetaL Author has a feature that will allow you to throttle back CPU usage? If so, the answer is no.

However, Windows itself allows you to set priorities for any particular process (this can be done in the Task Manager, but there may be other ways to tell Windows to do this). Perhaps you could try that? It isn't something most people (if anyone) would need to do but your setup seems a bit atypical from other postings I have read so perhaps that is an option. I'm not sure how to automate this but Microsoft might have some documentation on the subject or there may be information on one of their community sites detailing how to do that. A quick search for “xp cpu limit usage” turns up a lot of hits for me, and adding your specific version of Windows would probably give you some specific information on the subject. Note that if you tell Windows to run the application slower (by setting a lower priority) it will take longer to do things obviously.

Another option would be to try run the software on a multiple core system (dual core chips are quite standard at the moment). In this case the system (hardware or Windows) may attempt to limit CPU usage to 100% of any particular core. I have not researched this in depth (this is really a question for Microsoft or Intel or AMD support) but on my particular systems a program never exceeds 100% usage of a core, and even when that core is pegged at 100% Windows continues to chug along just fine and other applications are allocated cycles in the other core (or so it seems). Note that if you check the Task Manager on Windows XP in this situation it may show any particular process pegged at 50% of total CPU cycles at most, which I assume translates to 100% usage of one core on a dual core machine. In Task Manager you can also set the “Affinity”, which limits which core a particular process is allowed to run on.

See screen captures for Task Manager “Priority” and “Affinity”.

Derek Read

A little bit more research…

The Windows command named START allows you to launch an application. This would not be such a big deal except that it also lets you set the priority (as previously discussed in this thread) so that you do not need to do that manually using the Task Manager.

This will allow you to launch XMetaL or any other application with priority set to “low”. You could do this at a CMD prompt or in a *.bat file. The simplest version of such a command is as follows:

START /LOW xmetal60.exe

The example above assumes you are running the START command inside the folder containing the main XMetaL application (in this case version 6.0). If this is not the case you will need to provide the full path to the executable.

For detailed information on using the START command on your version of Windows enter the following into a CMD prompt or consult Microsoft's documentation:

START /?

On Windows Vista and Windows 7 the START command has an additional argument named /AFFINITY that allows you to restrict running the application using a specific CPU (applicable to multi-core systems).

Derek Read

It has come to my attention (via external sources) that you are running multiple users in a Citrix environment and that changes things substantially. Your complaint therefore seems to be that you have more than one person logged into the same Citrix machine and when XMetaL spikes the CPU that seems to be blocking other users.

To me this sounds like a Citrix management issue that you should consult with Citrix about.

There is a very good 42 minute video here that attempts to describe various CPU utilization and management scenarios in Citrix:
    http://www.citrix.com/tv/#videos/1361

It is very much worth watching and the video discusses various strategies including how to “manage your server more intelligently” using the “CPU utilization management technology” which is available starting with “presentation server 4”. His other strategies include building a bigger/faster server.

Derek Read

More info (quick summary of the “CPU Utilization Management” feature): http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX106021

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support