General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Copy and paste, paste, paste doesn’t work in XMetaL 5.5

• LeeHart

Copy and paste, paste, paste doesn’t work in XMetaL 5.5

Participants 2
    Replies 3
    Last Activity 13 years, 3 months ago

I regularly need to paste the same block into multiple XML documents. When I do a copy/paste, I can't paste the same block again in a diferent document in XMetaL 5.5. If I paste into Notepad, re-copy the text from there, I can paste as many times as I like.

Is this a known issue? If not, any ideas where I can look in our customizations? We don't use the Copy or Paste methods of the Selection property; we do use the PasteString method in some macros for special strings or XML comments, but these aren't use in any event macros.

Thanks,

Lee

Derek Read

Reply to: Copy and paste, paste, paste doesn’t work in XMetaL 5.5

As much detail as you can provide will be helpful in tracking this down. To eliminate the possibility of your customization being involved you may wish to try pasting the same content into a “Journalist” document. Journalist is a demo DTD we include to show what can be done with the product. There are templates for this DTD (and the Schema version): File>New>Journalist (tab).

The Journalist demo does not use any APIs for overriding the “standard” paste functionality so this is a good test for figuring out if the issue is with XMetaL Author itself, or with a document-level customization you have installed.

However, if you can reproduce the issue with Journalist that still might still mean you have an application-level customization (MCR) installed that is acting up. There are many APIs provided (among the 1000 or so available) with the product that are related to pasting, drag & drop and the clipboard. One specific example is Application.Clipboard.SetEmpty() which clears the content of the clipboard.

One way I can think of to isolate this issue from any customizations you have made would be to install a fresh copy of XMetaL Author Enterprise on your machine without making any changes to it and then testing the Journalist demo. However, if this was occurring regularly I think we'd have heard about it by now, or our QA department would have seen the problem.

Another option would be to debug any customizations you have installed (if you have that capability).

wongsk27

Hi all,

I have the same problem as well, but with our own schema. Our schema has block define as a paragraph, but our schema also allow having block inside a block to create a list structure. However, when I copy another block from the document and insert as  “sub block”, it normally don't allow me to do it unless I copy into a text editor and then copy to back to the document. It sounds like that XMetaL is things, the first level and the second level block are different for some reason.

Regards,

-Brian

Derek Read

If you have a specific issue with a specific DTD or Schema it would be best to submit a case with XMetaL Support via the normal support channels.

Please include an XML sample file (or two if pasting between different documents), your DTD or Schema and customization files (CSS, CTM, MCR and any other files that might be relevant) along with exact reproduction steps containing as detailed information as possible about exactly what you are copying, from where you are copying, where you are pasting to, which view mode you are in, any additional you must perform to trigger the issue after opening the document but before the copy/paste.

If you are copying from another application please let us know what it is, the version and provide a sample file. They can test Word, Excel, and similar, but they aren't going to be able to test every 3rd party application unless there's a trial version available (in which case please provide details).

Please also let XMetaL Support know the following (pretty much every case submitted should include this information):

• Exact XMetaL Author version number from Help > About dialog (in the form 5.x.x.xxx)
    • Windows version and major service pack (example: XP SP3, Vista, Vista SP1, etc)
    • Windows language (example: English)

In this particular case please also include your Internet Explorer version. This sounds irrelevant, but there have been conflicts in the past with specific versions of IE and some customizations which rely on some IE trickery for copy and paste operations.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support