DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver heap size issue

• mtbowers

com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver heap size issue

Participants 1
    Replies 2
    Last Activity 10 years, 4 months ago

Hi, this is a fairly technical question, but it's driving me nuts and has been all weekend!

I was able to change the Java heap size for Ant to 1024MB (JVM argument -Xmx1024m), but I am not able to change the heap size for RenderX, which is causing XMetal to report a Java out of memory error. It's stuck at 64MB, and I need it to be somewhere closer to 256M. I have a large ditamap with about 50 EPS images and XMetal always reports an error when trying to process anything over about 48 of these images (they are 1-2MB in size, each). I'm using RenderX w/ Adobe Distiller.

System info: XMetal 6.0.1, Windows 7. I'm using VisualVM 1.3.4 to monitor my Java processes.

Derek Read

Reply to: com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver heap size issue

Hopefully all you need to do is add the appropriate setting into the Java call in the xep.bat file here:

Deployed copy:
    %appdata%SoftQuadXMetaL Sharedrenderxxep.bat

Installed copy:
    %programfiles%Common FilesXMetaL Sharedrenderxxep.bat

There is a thread on this particular issue answered by RenderX support here: http://services.renderx.com/lists/xep-support/3324.html
    It is not specific to running XEP with the DITA OT but I suspect it must be the same problem.

mtbowers

Reply to: com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver heap size issue

THANK YOU!!! It worked, but there's an important caveat for anyone else with this issue.

Here's the contents of xep.bat:

[code]
    @echo off
    remĀ  This batch file encapsulates a standard XEP call.

SET XMETAL_SHARED_PATH=C:Program FilesCommon FilesXMetaL Shared
    IF NOT “%XMETAL_SHARED_GEN%”==”” (SET XMETAL_SHARED_PATH=%XMETAL_SHARED_GEN%)

SET PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH=%XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%
    IF NOT “%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_GEN%”==”” (set PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH=%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_GEN%)

set CP=%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%renderxlibxep.jar;%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%renderxlibsaxon.jar;%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%renderxlibxt.jar

if x%OS%==xWindows_NT goto WINNT
    “%XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%j2re1.4.2_08binjava” -classpath “%CP%” com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver “-DCONFIG=%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%renderxxep.xml” %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
    goto END

:WINNT
    “%XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%j2re1.4.2_08binjava” -classpath “%CP%” com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver “-DCONFIG=%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%renderxxep.xml” %*

:END

set CP=
    [/code]

If you are running Windows 7 (like I am), you must add the -Xmx420M to the :WINNT call (there's an IF statement) like so:

[code]
    :WINNT
    “%XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%j2re1.4.2_08binjava” -Xmx420M -classpath “%CP%” com.renderx.xep.XSLDriver “-DCONFIG=%PER_USER_XMETAL_SHARED_PATH%renderxxep.xml” %*
    [/code]

It doesn't work if you add it to the other call. I'm assuming that Vista would be the same case.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support