DITA and XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum DITA and XMetaL Discussion Chinese Titles are not displaying in PDF (RenderX XEP)

• paul_kace

Chinese Titles are not displaying in PDF (RenderX XEP)

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 11 years, 2 months ago

None of the heading titles in Simplified Chinese are displaying in the PDF generated by RenderX. I am using XMetaL Enterprise 6.0.1.030.

I have installed AdobeSongStd-Light font, updated the xep.xml, set the language to zh-cn in the ditamap, checked both font-mappings.xml files, and everything looks good.

My only guess is that these topics are a bold font, but it doesn't seem that there is a bold version of the Chinese font from Adobe.  Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Derek Read

Reply to: Chinese Titles are not displaying in PDF (RenderX XEP)

I suspect the issue may be related to extra whitespaces in this file:

demoxmfoCustomizationfoattrsxm-cfgcommons-attr.xsl

Search for all the “font-family” attributes like the following:

The spaces around the portion I have marked in blue need to be removed. With them in place they break the font because the generated value becomes: " value " instead of "value".

Our current release (6.0.2.070) does not have this issue, and it might not be there in other older versions either.

paul_kace

Hi Derek,

I had removed the spaces already (having seen it elsewhere on the forum), but forgot to mention it in my original post. I doubled-checked each instance and generated the PDF again to be sure. I also have two other problems and perhaps they are related.

In my main ditamap, I entered 部署设备 v3.3 管理员指南. The Chinese characters do not show up in the generated title page, nor in the footers, but “v3.3” does.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you,

Paul

Derek Read

Characters not being visible in the PDF generally indicates that a font has not been embedded that supports them. If you open the PDF in Adobe Reader and right click you can check the “properties”. You can check there to see that XEP is embedding them in the PDF or not. It is also possible that a font is embedded and being used to render a portion of the document but not other portions. That is where it becomes difficult to track things down as you need to begin checking the font-mappings.xml file as well as possibly some of the XSLT files (with the one I referenced before being the most likely candidate) for issues.

The “v3.3” will show up because almost all fonts will have glyphs for those character code points (which are ASCII or when you are dealing with Unicode encoded files map to the first 128 characters in Unicode). Pretty much every font is going to have glyphs for the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9 and other “basic” characters found both in ASCII and Unicode and in most cases they will actually look like the characters A-Z, a-z, 0-9, etc, unless you specify Wingdings or something (in that case you'd still see a glyph, just something strange like a zodiac symbol or something).

paul_kace

Thanks Derek.

I found the problem to the titles: DITA_OTdemoxmfoCustomizationfoattrscustom.xsl,  where the previous owner had defined Dell.

I am guess it will be similar for my other two problems.

Paul

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support