General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Can’t display Resource Manager

• pmasal

Can’t display Resource Manager

Participants 9
    Replies 10
    Last Activity 13 years, 8 months ago

I have a user who is unable to view the Resource Manager, whether he toggles it on or off. He has tried closing all  files/toolbars and various other means he could think of to “unhide” it. He even repaired the installation and performed a fresh install. Still, he cannot see the Resource Manager. Is there a secret to restoring the RM if it “goes away?”

Paul Masalsky
    EMC

dcramer

Reply to: Can’t display Resource Manager

Are (or were) there two monitors involved? I think I saw something like that once where a machine had two monitors and one was removed while the resource manager was undocked and on the second monitor. Still, I'd be surprised if that problem would not have been resolved by a reinstall of XMetaL.

David

pmasal

Hi, thanks for responding! Alas, it was only one monitor.
    Paul

jkieffer

I am currently experiencing the same problem. I am working with three monitors. The problem started when I selected something from a right-click menu within the Resource Manager. The menu gave three options. Two of the options seemed to be about docking. I think I selected (or deselected) the option Allow Docking. The Resource Manager disappeared and I have tried everything, except reinstalling, to get it back. Resource Manager is listed in Help (docked panes), but it shouldn't completely disappear!

mag3737

Have you tried the “reset workspace” trick?  (Hold down the Ctrl key while starting XMetaL, then say “yes” to reset the workspace.)

dcramer

If you have problems with any window or pane being unavailable due to multiple monitors (say you're used remote desktop to get to a machine with multiple monitors and some window is stuck on one of the others or you removed a monitor since the last time you used the application), try DisplayFusion: http://www.binaryfortress.com/displayfusion/

There's a free-as-in-beer version and it has a hot key for moving a window to the next monitor: Ctrl + Win + X

1. Install DisplayFusion
    2. Open XMetaL and click the Resource Manager button to put the focus on the invisible resource manager.
    3. Press Ctrl + Win + X (more than once if necessary if you have more than two monitors).

A must have if you use multiple monitors and also connect remotely. There are a few apps (or panes in apps) that don't move to the existing remote desktop window.

Hope that helps someone,
    David

jkieffer

I tried the reset workspace trick suggested by Tom Magliery.

Still no Resource Manager.

Thanks for the suggestion

jkieffer

Whoops. I spoke too soon. I think Tom Magliery's reset workspace trick did work after all.

Thanks Tom

pmasal

Yep! Worked well for us, too!
    Thank you, Tom.
    Paul

achu

Any insight what might make resource manager window not displayed?

When restoring to default workspace, what are the steps behind the scene? will it replace the default.tbr with the default one? will it touch XMetal.mcr?

Derek Read

Files are unaffected. Only registry settings that store the current “workspace” should be modified (they are reset to default values).

See this post for details: http://forums.xmetal.com/index.php/topic,19.msg28.html#msg28

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support