DITA and XMetaL Discussion

• edwardwoodward

Build Failed Error

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 9 years, 8 months ago

Hello,
    I'm using XMetaL(R) Author Enterprise 6.0 (Japanese).
    XMetaL gives me a build failed error whenever I try to output files. The pop-up message says words to the effect of “Another application may be using a file of the same name. Close that file and try again.”
    When you click OK in the pop-up, the output log gives details that seem to vary with each attempt. Currently the line under “Build Failed” is:

C:DOCUME~1ADMINI~1APPLIC~1SoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTbuild.xml:266: Cannot find file:C:DOCUME~1ADMINI~1APPLIC~1SoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTpluginsnet.sourceforge.dita4publishers.word2ditabuild_transtype-word2dita.xml imported from C:DOCUME~1ADMINI~1APPLIC~1SoftQuadXMETAL~1DITA_OTbuild.xml

I have tried with my own files and with the sample files provided with XMetal. Same error.
    I have also tried the same files in a trial version on a different machine and they build OK.

Thanks in advance.

Derek Read

Reply to: Build Failed Error

1. XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0 included version 1.4.3 of the DITA Open Toolkit and did not including the dita4publishers plug-in as there was no such thing at the time of release.
    2. The dita4publishers plug-in works with DITA OT 1.5.4, 1.6 and 1.7 (and I'm pretty certain it is incompatible with earlier versions).
    3. XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 was the first version to bundle the dita4publishers plug-in.

I guess you must have a system that has been customized to try to attempt to integrate dita4publishers into the 1.4.3 version of the DITA OT?

The simplest (and supported) thing to do would be to run either XMetaL Author Enterprise 7.0 or 8.0. The former integrates dita4publishers with the 1.5.4 version of the DITA OT, the latter integrates it with the 1.7 version of the DITA OT.

The alternative would be to have the people that made these customizations for you trouble shoot the problem.

edwardwoodward

Ta for the reply.

We haven't changed the system in any way, just bought 3 licenses and installed as is to get a hang of XMetal and try to decide if we want to go all out with it or not.
    One person's worked without any problem, one worked after changing some key mentioned in the readme (something to do with installing on a machine that used the trial version).
    The difference in my case (as far as I can tell) is I installed to D drive. After trying a few things (repair install, re-install etc), I tried installing on C. Now I can output PDF from maps (Ctrl+G) but not from topics (Alt+F+E). I can't output HTML.

Derek Read

I think we might need to remove some files if you've moved the install to another drive.
    I'm not sure exactly what data might be breaking this but it is most likely one or more paths that might still reference the D drive, so it would be best to just blow all those files away and have XMetaL recreate them.

1. Shut down XMetaL Author Enterprise.
    2. Remove this folder:
    %appdata%SoftQuad
    Depending on your Windows version or IT settings that folder might be here:
    %appdata%RoamingSoftQuad

It should contain two folders, one called “XMetaL” the other “XMetaL Shared”.
    The former is for general settings stored by the application, the latter is where we run the DITA Open Toolkit from.

3. Launch XMetaL and try generating output again. To be sure the issue is not with your own DITA documents you might try generating output from one of the samples, such as Help > Samples > XMetaL Reviewer Help (DITA) — sorry, I'm not sure what that translates to in the Japanese edition.

I'm still a bit curious how you would have the dita4publishers plug-in integrated into the copy of the DITA OT included with XMetaL Author Enterprise 6.0. Perhaps that is something unique to the Japanese edition I'm not familiar with. A number of changes were made to the Japanese edition by engineers (in Japan) that I don't work directly with. I'll see if I can figure that out.

edwardwoodward

Thanks!
    The solution you suggested worked, but at first the output behaviour was opposite (I could output pdfs from topics but not maps, I could output both in html). Then I changed the setting mentioned in the readme (cmd_dita_ot_per_user_version  =  1) and I could also output pdfs from maps.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support