General XMetaL Discussion

XMetaL Community Forum General XMetaL Discussion Add word to specific user wordlist?

• paul_cpwr

Add word to specific user wordlist?

Participants 3
    Replies 4
    Last Activity 10 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to be able to control which user wordlist is targeted when an author adds a new word during a spell check. I've tried several varied configurations with multiple word lists but the added words always appear in the WT10US.UWL word list (I'm in the US English locale).

The scenario I'm working towards is one where I deploy a company-wide word list to the authors and periodically update that list with words that authors have added during their spell checks. Since there are no tools for comparing/editing wordlist files, I settled on the following plan:
    1. Put all of our approved words in a new user wordlist (company.uwl).
    2. Create a second create a second user wordlist that is blank or contains a single word (user.uwl).
    3. Configure XMetaL to use WT10US.UWL and company.uwl and user.uwl for spell checking and to add new words to the user.uwl user wordlist.
    4. Periodically collect all the user.uwl files from the authors and have our spelling committee evaluate them (via XMetaL UI) and select newly approved words.
    5. Add the newly approved words to the company.uwl wordlist (via XMetaL UI) and distribute them to the authors, along with a new blank user.uwl wordlist.

The desire is that:
    1. The default WT10US.UWL user wordlist can evolve on it's own without impacting our wordlist customizations.
    2. The user.uwl would never contain more than those words that an author added, easing the pain of comparing long word lists for individual word additions.

If I can control the target wordlist for added words, this scenario is possible. If not, does anybody have an alternative strategy?

I'm using XMetaL 6.0.2.070 on Windows XP.

Best regards,

Paul Anderson
    Information Developer – Codex administrator
    Compuware Corporation

Derek Read

Reply to: Add word to specific user wordlist?

There's a button labelled “Default” that tells XMetaL which UWL file it should be adding new entries into.

I have discussed similar strategies with several other companies and it seems that they have ended up doing almost the same thing as you are suggesting. In two cases however, a system was implemented whereby if someone feels they need a new word they are required to make an “add word request” (ie: send you an email), at which point you update your file. It was decided that this was the easiest way to set up the “gatekeeper” roll for the word lists because sometimes an explanation as to why a word needs to be added might be needed, and might also require some discussion. In one case a wiki page was also considered because multiple people might need to contribute, and it would help anyone find out if a word was under consideration (but not yet in), etc. I'm not sure of the status. I believe several of these companies have also adopted STE authoring, though I'm not sure if they are using any of the 3rd party tools available for that.

Derek Read

Just in case…

STE = Simplified Technical English

paul_cpwr

You are correct that the “Set Default” button sets the UWL that gets new words, but only if you use the “Add” button on the Spell Checker tab of the Writing Tools dialog box (or press Alt-D from that UI).

If you use the “Add ____ to My Word List” command on the context menu, the default word list setting is ignored and the word is always added to the WT10US.UWL (for US English users) word list. That's a shame because authors will tend to use this convenient menu command before they invoke the spell checker window and click Add.

If there some code I can add to fix this or do I have to wait for the next update?

Derek Read

That looks like an oversight to me. I will ask our dev team to look into making it function the same way in both cases.
    There would be no way for you to alter this with customizing or script.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost Your Password?

Products
Downloads
Support