General XMetaL Discussion
ada March 27, 2015 at 2:00 pm
A few XMetaL 9.0 problems.March 27, 2015 at 2:00 pmParticipants 1Replies 2Last Activity 7 years, 6 months ago
Our company recently moved from XMetaL 6.0 to XMetaL Version#: 9.0.0.053. But users have been running into a few issues with it.
1. Track changes does not input a value into the author attribute on the processing instructions. It will come out like this: example. As you can see the empty author attribute.
2. Changing a value of a attribute in the attribute inspector will not actually change it's value. Lets say I have a tag called 'section' with a attribute of 'id' that has of 's4'. If I change the value of 's4' to 's5' and click outside of the attribute inspector back into the document. The change will not take. If I make the change and click somewhere else inside of the attribute inspector the change will take. Not sure what's going on with that there.
3. Going into a table properties and changing a value will make the application freeze and crash. It will say that “XMetaL 9.0 has stoped working. A problem cause the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.”
4. It takes a very long time for the application to launch. Much longer than XMetaL 6.0 did. I don't know if there is anything we can do about that?
Also, can we allow more posts by users. I know we want to avoid spammers and such but I keep getting this message when I want to reply to someone: “We are enforcing a time limit between postings in an attempt to reduce the amount of spam posted to the forum. Please try again after waiting 60 seconds.” and I don't even post that often. Same thing is true when I try to create a new topic.Derek Read March 27, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Reply to: A few XMetaL 9.0 problems.March 27, 2015 at 10:37 pm
1. Check to see if the setting for the author's “name” is set in Tools > Options on the “General” tab. If it hasn't been changed it should be the user's Windows account name as the default.
2. Yes, this is how the Attribute Inspector works in XMetaL Author 8, 9 and 10. To set a value use the Enter key (puts focus back into the document) or the Tab key (puts focus on the next attribute).
3. It would be best to submit a case to XMetaL Support that includes a copy of the document you are working with and a copy of the customization. In this case just the schema may be enough to reproduce the issue, but if you can send the whole customization that might save time later. It is also very possible that whatever issue you are seeing in 9 has been addressed in XMetaL Author Enterprise 10, so you might want to do your own testing with that release.
4. Not sure which product you have (XMetaL Author Enterprise or XMetaL Author Essential) but it should not take that much longer to start up. Maybe an extra second or two? I suspect something else is contributing if it takes much longer than an additional few seconds. There are differences between XMetaL Author Essential and XMetaL Author Enterprise too, with the latter loading more features (mostly related to DITA authoring and CMS integration support). Maybe check to see if you are comparing the same products. i.e.: Were you running Essential before but are now running Enterprise? Also, check to see that any 3rd party integrations or your own customizations are not themselves more complex.ada March 30, 2015 at 6:48 pm
Reply to: A few XMetaL 9.0 problems.March 30, 2015 at 6:48 pm
1. By default this option is blank and is not the user's windows account name. It was by default the user's window account in XMetaL 6.0. Not sure why not the case here anymore.
2. Very well, I shall make everyone aware of this.
3. Ok, I can do that. To be more specific. The problem exists when a user is editing a selection of cells in a table. So it is not a problem if the user is changing the table, column, or cells properties. I have attached two screen shots.
4. Our current verison is XMetaL Author Enterprise Version#: 9.0.0.053. Our previous version of 6.0 was also the Enterprise version. Haven't been able to pinpoint what is causing the delay so far.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.