Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion XMAX12: Could not get initialized if %appdata% is mapped to a network share Reply To: XMAX12: Could not get initialized if %appdata% is mapped to a network share

Derek Read

Reply to: XMAX12: Could not get initialized if %appdata% is mapped to a network share

This is what I see when testing with XMAX 13 and your solution, after having moved my %appdata% folder to a Windows share that is mapped to the O: drive (something I already have in place), and making sure there is no SoftQuad folder there (which there isn't by default of course since the “roaming” folder was just created by me and is new). After XMAX created it the first time I removed it again and XMAX had no trouble creating it again, nor writing into it.

In this dialog XMAX is telling us that it is writing out it's minimum set of customization files. I'm not sure if that is normal for your setup. I assume there is no document-level customization simply because this is a stress test. If for whatever reason you cannot work around this problem perhaps providing a full set of customization files will avoid XMAX having to write here (since it can simply load them all from the DTD location).

Here are some guesses:

1. Somehow (without knowing about this issue, nor knowing how to reproduce it) we have altered the way XMAX 13 accesses %appdata% and reads/writes to it. I think that is unlikely as we are using standard Windows APIs for this. It is possible that the Microsoft compiler or code that we used for XMAX 12 is different for 13 (some update has been applied or similar) though I don't think that is the case.

2. Somehow the folder you have pointed %appdata% to on your test system is not functioning the way Windows needs it to, or at least those APIs that we use to read/write files.

3. Something else is interfering with all of this, perhaps some additional 3rd party code is required to reproduce the issue that I do not have. This might be part of your own code, or perhaps it is something entirely separate, such an an anti-virus or other kind of security software, or perhaps the server where these files are stored is somehow behaving oddly when it comes to Windows client machine access.

Products
Downloads
Support