Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Create Document with DTD via COM Api Reply To: Create Document with DTD via COM Api

Derek Read

Reply to: Create Document with DTD via COM Api

I'm not sure why you are asking about RLX generation as this is something normally managed quietly and automatically by the software, but opening an XML document that references a DTD (either via SYSTEM id or PUBLIC id and via catalog lookup) will cause the RLX file to be generated.

Unless you have a specific reason to distribute an RLX file I would just let the software automatically manage them.

Or you may use XMetaL Developer to generate the RLX file by building an XMetaL Project (from inside Visual Studio).

XMetaL Developer 7 still included a tool named XMmkrules.exe (XMetaL Rules Maker) that could be used to generate RLS and RLX files. A command-line based tool named mkrls.exe was also still included (I think it only supports SGML DTDs but could be wrong). They are in the BIN subfolder and were created long ago (before XMetaL Developer) and were used because (at the time) a DTD might take several seconds to “compile” into the memory representation required by XMetaL Author and its predecessors HoTMetaL, Author Editor, etc. These tools are not supported and they've also lost their accompanying help files (though the CMD version will list options at a CMD prompt). I think the only reason they are still included with Developer is that nobody bothered to clean them out.

The RLX file is a compiled version of a DTD (including all referenced files), and is pretty much a representation of what XMetaL has created in memory to represent that. RLD is the equivalent for XSD Schema and RLS is an SGML DTD. The reason the software originally generated these files was essentially to cache this information when computers were far slower (the original code comes from the 1980s SGML era but even in the 90s having to wait 2 seconds for an XML DTD to “compile” was a little annoying). It has been left unaltered primarily for compatibility reasons, though there are very specific cases where an RLX file is preferable. The only real cases I can think of is when someone wants to make it difficult to copy the content of a DTD, or to stop someone from modifying it (but that is pretty rare).

Products
Downloads
Support