Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Future of XMetaL Developer? Reply To: Future of XMetaL Developer?

Derek Read

Reply to: Future of XMetaL Developer?

JustSystems did not release XMetaL Developer 8. That was a conscious decision. Anyone purchasing XMetaL Developer from JustSystems for the past two years should have been told XMetaL Developer 7 was the current version to use (and not to worry about the number if that concern was raised). The XMetaL Forms Toolkit should be compatible with versions 7, 8, and 9 (and possibly earlier) of XFT. At least I'm not aware of any issues to date (if you find any let XMetaL Support know, as you would do with any other bugs).

The reason a version 8 was not released is because no changes were made to XMetaL Developer between the time XMetaL Developer 7 was released and XMetaL Author Enterprise / Essential and XMAX 8 were released. Perhaps the version number could have been altered from 7 to 8 and a new installer for XMetaL Developer “8” created, but I think that would have been considered a wasted effort. Telling people they are getting a whole new major version when it is essentially identical to the previous one seems a little underhanded as well.

Version 9 is coming “soon”. I don't have any more information than that. However, I can say that it is being tested on both Windows 7 and 8 and it is being tested with VS 2012 and 2013. In addition to supporting a new OS and VS versions it will include bug fixes and updated documentation.

Products
Downloads
Support