Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Spell Checker does not behave as expected for certain words Reply To: Spell Checker does not behave as expected for certain words

Derek Read

Reply to: Spell Checker does not behave as expected for certain words

From what I can tell the files for EN-CE simply define these words as being misspelled (no entry for them). Most likely that is due to the fact that at the time they were created (sometime in the 1990s) someone chose to treat “programme” and “programmes” as Canadian and specifically treat “program” and “programs” as being American (only). The history on that would be long lost, nor would I have access to it, but it could be because Corel was based in Ottawa and (at least at the time this stuff was originally being created) Canadian gov't documents may have preferred the “me” spellings (many still do I believe). It might have just been more common then (I certainly remember being told to use the “me” spellings when I was in high school in the 1980s). I'd agree most people in Canada now use “program” so it might be nice if we updated this.

This would affect all versions of the software starting with version 3 (when we first incorporated this spell checking engine while we were still part of Corel around 2002) and it would affect all versions up to and including 9 as nobody has raised this issue until now.

The quickest solution for this particular issue would be to add these words to the user word list.

Products
Downloads
Support