Home Forums General XMetaL Discussion Typeing 2 spaces Reply To: Typeing 2 spaces

tmakita

Reply to: Typeing 2 spaces

Hi Derek,

I have a basic question about your explanation:

Default behaviour (no special CSS settings configured) for Tags On and Normal view is to collapse multiple white-spaces and treat them as insignificant (W3C XML recommendation definition of “insignificant”).

The XML recommendation is written as following:

In editing XML documents, it is often convenient to use “white space” (spaces, tabs, and blank lines) to set apart the markup for greater readability. Such white space is typically not intended for inclusion in the delivered version of the document. On the other hand, “significant” white space that should be preserved in the delivered version is common, for example in poetry and source code.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-white-space

Why does XMetaL treat white-spaces as “insignificant” in default setting? The XML recommendation refers significant when they are written in as poetry and source code.

If I wrote a program source code using “pre” element, the white-spaces will not be collapsed. So there is no problem.

If I write a poetry using “p” element, the white-spaces will be collapsed into one space even if they are inserted multiple times in Plain Text View. However how do you guess that the white-spaces inside the “p” element is “insignificant”?

Regards,

Products
Downloads
Support