Home Forums DITA and XMetaL Discussion Spell checker in XMetal does not call attention to joined words with markup Reply To: Spell checker in XMetal does not call attention to joined words with markup

Derek Read

Reply to: Spell checker in XMetal does not call attention to joined words with markup

No, such a feature does not exist in the software (as you describe it).

I think this would be a complex problem to resolve as a general feature (one that works for all schema). For the spell checker (or some other feature) to know when it is OK and when it is not might require knowledge of the schema (ie: which two elements or child elements should it do this for), the language (English, French, German, etc), specific business rules (including perhaps specific types of technical lingo), and maybe even a particular author's writing style. That isn't to say that it would be impossible, but I think it definitely would be a difficult problem to solve if we were to look into implementing something like this.

There are some companies that have add-ons for XMetaL Author to aid with writing. I'm not sure if they would help but you might check into it. These are primarily advertised as helping to create “[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=xmetal+simplified+english]simplified English[/url]”. Not exactly what you are looking for but perhaps worth looking into just in case.

Other strategies might be employed however, and that might include settings specific to a schema that always insert a space before, after, or inside (start and end) the content of particular elements. If you can come up with a list of such rules then that can be coded into the “pretty printing” rules for the schema you are using. This cannot be made selective based on written content however, this particular feature works based on element names.

Products
Downloads
Support