Home Forums DITA and XMetaL Discussion DITA specialization bug? Reply To: DITA specialization bug?

Derek Read

Reply to: DITA specialization bug?

I'm not sure what's been done but I will guess (it really should not be this hard, so I'm a little confused about the state of your machine).

The fact that the CSS looks like this means XMetaL has auto-generated one for you. We don't want that for DITA (which is why we provide the “Select Specialized DITA DTD” function). This also means that the CTM file was auto-generated and you will have no MCR file either. For non-DITA people this is where they might start to build their customization, or if they choose not to build one they would use the (limited functionality) auto-generated customization.

What this means for you is that all of the DITA functionality is likely not functional for this DTD (because these three critical files must be the ones that are put into place by “Select Specialized DITA DTD”). I suspect your combination of trying to work with the DTD without selecting “Select Specialized DITA DTD” and then later trying that, and perhaps also making modifications to the DTD (and you may have kept the same filename, etc) have made a mess of your install.

I suspect that your machine probably has a bunch of files lying around, and we really don't know which XMetaL is using (I could figure this out by looking at your machine but that would be inefficient as fixing things would still be easiest by cleaning the installation out anyway). If you do not have these menus then DITA is definitely not functional for this DTD: Paragraph, Reuse.

What I would do is to put your installation into a clean state and then start again by following the instructions that start with the “Select Specialized DITA DTD” in the documentation.

1. Shut down XMetaL Author Enterprise.
2. Remove these folders:
%appdata%SoftQuadXMetaL6.0
AuthorDITAXACs

3. Follow the instructions that include the “Select Specialized DITA DTD” step.

If that doesn't fix it then do this:
1. Shut down XMetaL Author Enterprise.
2. Uninstall.
3. Remove this folder: %appdata%SoftQuadXMetaL6.0
4. If this one exists remove it: Author
5. Reinstall.
6. Follow the instructions that include the “Select Specialized DITA DTD” step.

Products
Downloads
Support